Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

intermittent air conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by mettec
I have a 06' and the issue I have is that my air conditioning is intermittent. It will blow cold air for about 20 sec then blows warm or vent type air for 20 sec then back to cold....etc... the compressor is kicking in the whole time but intermittent air. Could this be a temp sensor or bad thermostat?
If your compressor clutch is staying engaged all of the time but cooling intermittently, it has to be a control problem unless someon bypassed the pressure switch. Sounds like it switches from cooling to vent or heating.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM

It's really strange because this past Sunday it was low humidity and not as hot outside (80 degrees) and when I turned on the air, there was no problem and it was consistent for over an hour or so that I was driving. On Saturday it was hot and humid and the air was intermittent. I am still thinking it's not the coolant but the thermostat is sticking. I am bringing it into a repair place this week to get a diagnostic done.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM

me too.

I am having a similar problem with my '06. It's not as quick tho. Some days it works immediately and works the whole drive, others it never cools, others it starts cooling when I've been driving a bit.

My question is, Is this a system I am allowed to recharge or does it have to be a tech?
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM

egadgetguy, I checked with the AutoZone site and they offer recharging hits for the 2006 HHR. Please, keep in mind I am not a technician and GM doesn't endorse or maintain this site. To be on the safe side you could talk with the service department to see if they can answer your question about this.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by egadgetguy
My question is, Is this a system I am allowed to recharge or does it have to be a tech?
It's your vehicle so you can do anything you want. But unless you are skilled in automotive a/c repairs, I wouldn't.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 PM

I am having a similar problem with my '06. It's not as quick tho. Some days it works immediately and works the whole drive, others it never cools, others it starts cooling when I've been driving a bit.

Adding refrigerant to a leaking system is just throwing money away. Nor would I suggest buying dye and a can of R134a to test for leaks. Again, throwing away money. Take it to an AC shop. Might actually end up costing less in the long run.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 PM

any growling noise from under the hood, with the ac on, in the lower gears..?? if so, there's a TSB detailing the fix.......may be tied in with the intermittant cabin cooling...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
It's your vehicle so you can do anything you want. But unless you are skilled in automotive a/c repairs, I wouldn't.
I'm more worried about the EPA keeping me from purchasing the equipment. Or was that repealed?

I do agree that it might be low coolant, but it did coincide with me replacing the OEM radio, so...

Also, there's no CEL codes. I have a scanner.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

I'm more worried about the EPA keeping me from purchasing the equipment. Or was that repealed?
Repealed?? Not sure what you mean. You can buy R134a...you don't need a license. It is one of two refrigerants that can be purchaces without a license. That doesn't include stuff like RedTek or SuperFreeze or any of that other hydrocarbon based crap. You don't need a license for those but, though some will argue their merits, I won't use them or suggest their use. This is how the law reads:

WARNING: Federal Law provides that ONLY the following can purchase refrigerants.

1. Certified Refrigerant Technicians approved by the E.P.A. under Section 608 of the Clean Air Act.
2. Purchasers of refrigerant for resale to a Certified Refrigerant Technician.
3. Purchasers of R-134a, R-410A, and refrigerant supplies do
not need a license.

4. Automotive Certified Refrigerant Technicians approved by the E.P.A.
under Section 609 of the Clean Air Act (R-12 only).