Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Keyless Entry Remote switching signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Keyless Entry Remote switching signals

Hello everyone, I have been using chevyhhr.net since I bought my hhr in 2012, but today I have a problem that seems so unique I have to create a thread to see if anyone could answer my question.

I have just moved into a new apartment complex, lots of cars, lots of people have keyless remotes. My battery dies in my remote I suspect because it stopped working suddenly after giving a weaker and weaker signal. Starting that next week every morning I go out to the lot to my car and see that it is unlocked. I think my car is starting to unlock itself (Impossible!) until a fellow resident of the complex comes up to me with his remote and is locking and unlocking my car. I try my remote and it unlocks his car. Our signals have switched and I have no idea how.

1. I am not using the original fob, it got lost in the move, but the one I am using I bought less than a year after I bought the car.
2. The dealership tried to reprogram my remote, but my car would not connect. They wanted $$$ to diagnose why it would not connect.
3. I have been unlocking and locking with my key, but would like my fancy remote to work again.

If you need more information, let me know.

Please help if you can!!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Technical Moderator

You might think this is a stupid question: do you have power in your cigar lighter outlet?

If not, that is why the dealer could not connect.

I know of no way rolling codes could get switched. Why not just trade fobs?

Last edited by donbrew; 02-03-2015 at 05:35 PM. Reason: fixed auto correct
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM

Cigarette Lighter

I do have power in my cigarette lighter, not a stupid question. I have never had a car charger work in them until recently and so I thought it was busted. Turns out cheap chargers just suck.

I have heard to just trade, but his fob works on both his and my car. And I'm not sure if his is original to his car or not and if that matters. He drives a little 2 door mazda looking thing. I'm not sure if that would be the way to go.

Every time he unlocks his car, mine unlocks also.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

When the HHR's were first brought out I had, kind of, the same problem (on my 2006 2lt). I was in a Home Depot parking lot and when I unlocked my car the BMW, parked directly next to me, unlocked as well. I tried it several times with the same results.....lock and unlock.

I sat around for a while waiting for the owner who never showed up. I put a note on his windshield relating the problem. I included my phone number, but he never called. Probably thought it was a joke.

NEVER experienced that problem again.....to my knowledge.

I wrote a thread about it way back then.

Oh forgot to say....have the OEM FOB's.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Well, my math may be off a little. The odds of his remote opening your doors is about 1 in 640,000,000. I think that's enough zeros.

And the odds that a dealer with a Tech2 scanner can't match your fob to your car are about the same.

The reason for the cig lighter question is that the OBD2 port is powered by the same fuse, and the scanner is powered by the OBD2 port.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Administrator

I just thought of an after market FOB like the ones that come with the programme from AZ or O'R's, or try to locate your OEM fob in the boxes

Last edited by Oldblue; 02-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Thing is: It's a "rolling" code with a seed, so the seed and the count have to match up. The actual physical units don't matter. Theoretically you could "mismatch" the 2 units by pushing the lock button a certain number of times, 256 times rings a bell but not sure about that.

If a dealer wants to charge you money to figure out why their machines won't work, well.....
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM

Found this with google
Modern Security - How Remote Entry Works

If you are a mile away from your car and accidentally push the button on the transmitter, the transmitter and receiver are no longer synchronized. The receiver solves this problem by accepting any of the next 256 possible valid codes in the pseudo-random number sequence. This way, you (or your three-year-old child) could "accidentally" push a button on the transmitter up to 256 times and it would be okay -- the receiver would still accept the transmission and perform the requested function. However, if you accidentally push the button 257 times, the receiver will totally ignore your transmitter. It won't work anymore.
So, what do you do if your three-year-old child DOES desynchronize your transmitter by pushing the button on it 300 times, so that the receiver no longer recognizes it? Most cars give you a way to resynchronize. Here is a typical procedure:

Turn the ignition key on and off eight times in less than 10 seconds. This tells the security system in the car to switch over to programming mode.
Press a button on all of the transmitters you want the car to recognize. Most cars allow at least four transmitters.
Switch the ignition off.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Technical Moderator

But notice the operative "typical". We need to use a scantily to access programing mode. Most locksmiths could do it, most good mechanics could do it any GOOD GM tech can do it.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
We need to use a scantily to access programing mode.
Are you using voice to text, or do we need to be scantily dressed to do this procedure?

Have you noticed that it seems like every other post, your siggy disappears, Don?

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry Remote switching signals