Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Letter from GM for ignition lock cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Musicguy
I'm going in next week to address my list 'o problems. That, and--CEL-possibly purge valve/Service Airbag Light/Flaky rear view ext mirrors finish/Rough-hard to open rear door handles/Creaky Tailgate/Rusted door bottoms.....and over 36,000 of course
You have posted you are over the 36,000 miles; what is your mileage? Please, let me know how things turn out next week when you visit the dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Hi Michelle,

I'm well over-low 60's mileage wise.

CEL-something emissions related, I think a solenoid-they are taking care of that.

Service Airbag-a switch-expensive-on me

They say it needs door handles-expensive-on me-not doing it right now

Tailgate-say its the pistons-I'm skeptical-they stay up fine-not doing

Rust-they are having someone evaluate it-said it shouldn't be a problem for them to take care of it-I'm disappointed in that-usually it's the beginning of the end. My first HHR didn't have this problem.

it's supposed to be ready today, minus the rust "repair"
Old 06-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jmacallister
The tech rep at Martin Chevrolet in Torrance, CA took one look at the letter and had the cylinder swapped out in a hour no questions asked. Nice follow through GM.
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share how things went at the dealership. I am very happy your dealership was able to get this taken care of in a timely manner.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm going in next week to address my list 'o problems. That, and--CEL-possibly purge valve/Service Airbag Light/Flaky rear view ext mirrors finish/Rough-hard to open rear door handles/Creaky Tailgate/Rusted door bottoms.....and over 36,000 of course
You have posted you are over the 36,000 miles; what is your mileage? Please, let me know how things turn out next week when you visit the dealership.

Hi Michelle,

I'm well over-low 60's mileage wise.

CEL-something emissions related, I think a solenoid-they are taking care of that.

Service Airbag-a switch-expensive-on me

They say it needs door handles-expensive-on me-not doing it right now

Tailgate-say its the pistons-I'm skeptical-they stay up fine-not doing

Rust-they are having someone evaluate it-said it shouldn't be a problem for them to take care of it-I'm disappointed in that-usually it's the beginning of the end. My first HHR didn't have this problem.

it's supposed to be ready today, minus the rust "repair"
Thank you for the update. How is the HHR since you got it back yesterday?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM

Everything was done as stated.
CEL was vent solenoid-replaced under warranty
ignition cylinder-same
Airbag was failed 'sir' connector-on me
I don't think the tailgate pistons are bad, I pulled them off today and it makes the same noise, I'm thinking latch.

I have an appointment to have the door rust fixed-warranty.

all in all reasonable considering my mileage I suppose-sort of makes me think Hyundai/Kia for the warranty though :)

thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 AM

I stopped by the local dealer & said I had received the letter, at that time I made an appoint to have it changed, I never had to showed them the letter, 40 painless minutes to change it out.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Just dropped mine off for the lock cylinder and the door rust issue. They are also going to look at the rattling hub caps. They have rattled since I drove it off the lot 3 years ago. Everyone was very pleasent and helpful at Moran Chevrolet and said it would probably be done Thursday or Friday. This is the first visit to the dealer at 35,000 miles.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Everything was done as stated.
CEL was vent solenoid-replaced under warranty
ignition cylinder-same
Airbag was failed 'sir' connector-on me
I don't think the tailgate pistons are bad, I pulled them off today and it makes the same noise, I'm thinking latch.

I have an appointment to have the door rust fixed-warranty.

all in all reasonable considering my mileage I suppose-sort of makes me think Hyundai/Kia for the warranty though :)

thanks
Thank you for taking the time to clarify things for you. I hope you had a great weekend and are planning an awesome Fourth of July holiday.

I am sorry to read you are considering another manufacturer for your next vehicle. Is it the service or the overall displeasure of the HHR?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 AM

I have a 2009 that I have not received either of the letters on.

However, I am beginning to have some minor problems with the key.

For others the info on the two letters can be found here:
12045 https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=163

12089 https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...&postcount=164

The last of my VIN are S525480.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SS Panel
I stopped by the local dealer & said I had received the letter, at that time I made an appoint to have it changed, I never had to showed them the letter, 40 painless minutes to change it out.
I am glad to read you have a dealership that takes very good care of you and your HHR.

I hope you have a great holiday.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Thank you for taking the time to clarify things for you. I hope you had a great weekend and are planning an awesome Fourth of July holiday.

I am sorry to read you are considering another manufacturer for your next vehicle. Is it the service or the overall displeasure of the HHR?

Thanks, hope you have a great holiday as well. The shop is fine, I like the vehicle very much other than the little issues. I was hoping to drive this car for many years, but with rust setting in, and things getting a little creaky at less than 3 years I'm wondering about the longevity. Things seem to have a way of heading south post warranty.

Quick Reply: Letter from GM for ignition lock cylinder