Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Lots of electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:34 PM

Lots of electrical issues

Didn't see anything in the threads that addressed general electrical issues, so sorry if I just didn't see anything. Just bought a 2007 HHR LT for $700. Car itself doesn't look all that bad but it is really dirty and seem to have a bunch of electrical issues. I will list what I found so far below, There are probably others:

1) Transmission will not shift, but it does seem to engage properly in drive and reverse. I do know that the speed sensor can cause this and the next issue.
2) Speedometer does not work.
3) Other gauges were working when I test drove it, but stopped working when I started to limp it home. Now everything but the speedometer seems to work for about 1-2 seconds and then falls back to not registering
4) Door locks do not work
5) brake lights do not work
6) A/C does not work although that could be freon related.
7) The guy before me put in a new battery, but it doesn't look like it is installed right. Didn't have time to look at it, but it was sitting sideways in spare area.
8) does anyone know what the set of wires that goes into a ring that the negative power cable goes through? Never seen anything like this.
9) the driver's side mirror is broken, How do I determine if it is heated or not when ordering a replacement.
10) Inside driver door handle for opening door is broken, Is there a place to get a new one?

I am heading out of town for a week, and didn't have time to look into it too deeply. I ordered a Chiltons repair manual, but I know sometimes the best answers come from here.

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-04-2018, 10:07 PM

8) that is the current sensor
9) not heated
10) eBay,GM dealer,autozone, everywhere Dorman parts are sold

Most of the other things could be a dead battery/alternator. Or possibly the under hood fuse box needs to be looked at.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
8) that is the current sensor
9) not heated
10) eBay,GM dealer,autozone, everywhere Dorman parts are sold

Most of the other things could be a dead battery/alternator. Or possibly the under hood fuse box needs to be looked at.
Thanks: I did find the handle on ebay for $10, hope it lasts

The battery is new, and I thing the voltage is okay from the alternator

One more issue I forgot about, my code reader did not work on the connector. Plugged it in and it never came on. I know the code reader is good.

Last edited by Bofornado; 06-04-2018 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added information
Old 06-05-2018, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Code reader not working is often due to a blown fuse that also is for the power receptacle under the radio in the center console.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by whopper
Code reader not working is often due to a blown fuse that also is for the power receptacle under the radio in the center console.
Thank you for the input. I need to clean the inside of the car first, because I don't like working in a gross mess, but my next first step will be to clean all the grounds and check all the fuses. I suspect there is a bad ground or two because there are so many electrical things that don't work, or work off and on. It also looks like they broke a part of the flycatcher for the sunroof and it didn't get closed all the way, so there may have been rain getting in. The headliner where the buttons that control the sunroof is hanging down a bit.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, step by step, you’ll get it done, what are the model and series numbers for the battery?
Check the serpentine belt and tensioner,
Here’s a thread about grounds

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...cations-56504/

Water in da sunroof hole = water in the interior = clean and check for corrosion.

We’ll be here after your trip, post up some pictures!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the tip, and the link on grounds. I have already bookmarked that page for later when I start digging into things.

I realized it was going to be a struggle getting things going, but when you buy a car for that kind of money that is what you get. Hoping a couple fuses and a improved ground will get me several working things.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:22 AM

Your description of "working when I test drove it, but stopped working when I started to limp it home" leads me to a bad alternator/battery, maybe connections.

There is a link to Owner Manual in my sig.

Here is how to get the fuse box apart, there is also a youtube about it
http://www.yardzoo.us/auto-yourself/...e-box-removal/

Last edited by donbrew; 06-05-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Your description of "working when I test drove it, but stopped working when I started to limp it home" leads me to a bad alternator/battery, maybe connections.

There is a link to Owner Manual in my sig.

Here is how to get the fuse box apart, there is also a youtube about it
Chevy HHR Fuse Box Removal ? YardZoo
WOW, thanks for the link, that really sounds like it might be part of my issue.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Look up under the dashboard for rust on the metal parts, should not have any.

With all the recent floods etc, you wanna check if this was not a Flood car, that was peddled off as a good one.

Hopefully it is not, but I'd be looking.

Quick Reply: Lots of electrical issues