Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Mass Air Flow part

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 07:49 PM

donbrew, I think you may have something there. I may ask for the Certified charge back.

I would take the car over to the local tire shop to keep the tires inflated properly. The first guy said "you're going to need new tires" and I laughed and said "I just bought this car!" and blew it off.

The second time I went, the guy says "ma'am, you really need new tires", and walked me around the car and showed me why. By this time, I'd had the car a year and put 5000 miles on it. As I said, the service manager is awesome. I took it out to him and showed him and he just shook his head. "The best I can do" he said, was to give me the tires at cost and not charge me for the installation and all the little stuff, and align the car.

Anyway, I got the car back today and it turns out that it was the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve. Can someone tell me what that does? And the car was out of alignment, even though it had been aligned. It drives well now. He said the brakes were okay, the suspension was fine. I told him if I had to bring it back...

And Chevrolet, if you're listening, you should contact the dealer and tell him to give me my money back!!

Last edited by zabadubarbara; 08-08-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add something
Old 08-08-2013, 08:53 PM

The thing is, the condition of the car when you bought it is not in the service departments court. Most people believe that there is some connection between the dealership departments, there is not. They bill each other for work etc.

The Service Department will deal with anything that is under the Manufacturers Warranty, but nothing that the Used Car Sales Department said or did.

Your beef is with the Used Car Sales Manager. That is were the money to fix your car comes from for the non-warranty work. They most likely do not even prefer to use the GM Service Department. I don't know about California, but in Virginia the car MUST have passed a State Safety Inspection before it can be "delivered". I am assUmeing that Cal. is even stricter. You might want to check with the consumer protection people about that sort of thing.

I noticed that you used the search tool and already have the answer to the Camshaft position actuator question. Congratulations!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM

I'd sure love a copy of the complaint you sent. I'm not sure what to say.

From what I've learned, your tires have a certain rating and they can sell a car with them up to a certain rating. When I took the car, they technically "passed". After 5000 miles, they were done. The service department says they must have been very, very close to bad when I got them and there's no way I could have done that on 5000 miles.

CA states: Used cars advertised as "certified" must meet specific requirements. The dealer must perform a complete inspection of the vehicle and must provide consumers with a copy of the inspection report.
Dealers are prohibited from advertising a vehicle as "certified" if:

The odometer does not indicate the actual mileage of the vehicle.
The vehicle was purchased under state or federal warranty law (repurchased by the manufacturer or dealer).
The vehicle was damaged by an collision, fire, or flood unless repaired to safe operational condition prior to sale.
The title was branded as a Lemon Law Buyback, manufacturer repurchase, salvage, junk, nonrepairable, flood, or similar designation.
The vehicle has frame damage or was sold "as is".
The seller failed to provide the buyer with a complete inspection report of all components inspected.

I'd like to see what language you used to get your money back!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:47 PM

GM also has it's own "Certified" criteria. If it had the "official" GM Certified Pre-Owned label on the window sticker.

I just can't imagine getting that little tire from a reputable dealer. My latest HHR from Carmax had 43,000 miles on it with OEM tires that were not original to the car, but I now have 96,000 miles on it and the wear bars are not showing yet. So I'm expecting 60,000 miles on the used tires.

In my case I just had to point out that the "new" Carfax report showed the accident.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Ahhh I see you found the thread about the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve, as noted by donbrew - congrats!!!!

In case the other thread made you fall asleep and could not struggle thru all all the details, the Solenoid valve is part of the Variable valve/camshaft timing mechanism. It just basically alters the timing of the camshafts to help extract more power out of the engine - and they use engine oil to facilitate the movement. There is one solenoid for the Intake and one for the exhaust camshaft.

Or in other words - it's total magic.

They are a semi-common failure point on many of the GM vehicles, but are not that expensive, and are a snap to replace.

Does that help?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Thank you all so much. This is where I'm coming whenever I have a problem...oh! just thought of one - new thread...
Old 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM

zabadubarbara,

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience at the dealership. You may file a dealer compliant. Please private message us including your contact information, VIN, and dealership?

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
zabadubarbara,

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience at the dealership. You may file a dealer compliant. Please private message us including your contact information, VIN, and dealership?

Best regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care
Check your inbox.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Hi zabadubarbara,

I sent Jennifer a message that you had submitted your information via the PM. She will be in tomorrow to assist you.

Marlea Wilson
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Hi zabadubarbara,

I sent Jennifer a message that you had submitted your information via the PM. She will be in tomorrow to assist you.

Marlea Wilson
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you!