Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

menu button on steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 AM

menu button on steering wheel

My menu button on my 06 HHR LT will not work to scroll thru to the different settings, all the other button seem fine, has anyone had this problem before. I tried unhooking the battery cables to to a possible reset had no luck.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:03 PM

First, is this new? Did it work before?

May we assume that you have read and understand the Owners Manual.

Just asking for more info, don't get offended.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM

Haven't heard of this problem before.

I think you mean the "INFO" button, at least that is what it is labeled on my 2009, the 2006 since it was the first year could have different labeling. I've never actually seen a 2006, so I do not know.

Easiest "possible" solution would be to see if the button contacts are any good. This would require taking the Air Bag out and removal/disassembly of the switch and cleaning of the contacts. Could be you just spilled something that got into the buttons. Check the plug in connectors too, under the Air Bag.

Another possibility is the clock spring has a bad contact/wire - this would be much more difficult to repair, but there are others on the forum that have replaced the clock spring. The clock spring is the flex circuit that connects all the circuits through the steering column to the steering wheel.

Check the connections and wires between the steering column and the BCM.

The last is the BCM, if bad would have to be reprogrammed to the vehicle by a dealer or a very good local mechanic.

Here is a good thread to see what is involved in getting to the buttons:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ng-wheel-1912/
Old 08-14-2014, 09:00 PM

info button

Well guys I took out the air bag and inspected the wiring all seemed ok to me, I just had the ignition switch changed out and this seemed to happen afterwards do you think there is a connection or do I have other problems.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:38 PM

No there is probably not a connection, but a disconnection. Had to have some fun, sorry.

Did you take the left steering wheel switch apart or meter the leads? Do you have that capability? There are 7 pins on the connector. Pin 1 at one end and Pin 7 at the other end. When the INFO button is pressed you should read ~1270 Ohms, when the button below the INFO is pressed the meter should read ~715 ohms between pins 1 & 7. This is according to my FSM for a 2009 - the 2006 maybe different.

It is possible the switch replacement technician may have disturbed something - you didn’t mention the recent work in your original post.

You said everything works in your original post. Does the Cruise Control work - go out on the road and test? Does the Cruise Control activation light work? Do the interior dimming lights on the buttons light up?

Please answer ALL questions if you expect help!!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Cruise control works ok, the activation light doesn't work on the cruise button, the only thing that doesn't work is the info button to scroll, and the horn is acting up sense I had the switch replaced, its like you have to fine the sweet spot to make it blow, that's when I thought the tech may have disturbed something. Horn works fine using the key less entry, I will meter the switch and see what readings I get!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:06 AM

I thinking you may need to replace the clock spring.

I agree you need to check the switch then also check the connections to the clock spring.

Replacing the ign switch would have moved the wiring where it connects at the bottom of the clock spring under the column covers.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by topgunn
Well guys I took out the air bag and inspected the wiring all seemed ok to me, I just had the ignition switch changed out and this seemed to happen afterwards do you think there is a connection or do I have other problems.
Hey topgunn,

I would be happy to look into this further for you! Please send me a private message with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and the dealership who performed the recall repair. Hope to hear from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 AM

Excellent. The Cruise Control activation light, the INFO button and the HORN all use the same Ground connection through the clock spring. So I would say you have a ground problem. See if you can get the INFO button to work when you successfully activate the HORN manually - that sweet spot you say you can sometimes find.

What I am calling the "Clock Spring" is actually the "Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module". The connector under the Air Bag has 10 contact positions, the first two positions are not used and the tenth position is the GROUND connection. The connector is just to the right of the Air Bag connector. For testing purposes you could set up a temporary ground to this pin and see if all the problems go away. It should be a black wire with a white tracer.

I'm no longer thinking it may be the switch because so many other things are wrong.

You never answered if the interior dimming lights on the buttons work. I suspect they do not as they also go through this same ground. Since the HORN sometimes works it is possible they may flicker.

Lucky is correct, it is very possible the clock spring is bad or the connector on the bottom of the spring is not fully connected. I've never looked at the back side of the spring to know how easy(not) the access is to that end. Nor can I say if this could have easily been caused by the repair technician.

Last edited by Sno White; 08-15-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Clarity, typos
Old 08-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to a "clock spring" thread. Got some good info in it.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...-spring-18062/

Quick Reply: menu button on steering wheel