Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Misfire Mayhem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
Does it start hard and smell of gas after sitting for 5 minutes? If not, then the fuel is leaking back into the tank through a bad valve in the pump.
it definitely is hard to start but i dont smell gas or see any leaks at the rail
Old 06-12-2023, 09:01 PM

Have someone start it after sitting and you smell the exhaust. You can just stand in the back. If it's leaking through the injectors you'll smell it.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:03 PM

ok yes, exhaust smells really rich at startup lil puff of smoke too
Old 06-12-2023, 09:09 PM

Go back and read #20, I was editing.
Old 06-12-2023, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
P0017 is not defined as misfire, it is defined as timing chain problem. Whoever you are getting info from is a dummy.
P0301 would be misfire cylinder 1.

Test the fuel pump. After it turns off watch the gauge for 10 minutes looking for the pressure to drop if it goes to 0 in less than 10 minutes you need a new pump. There is supposed to be a check valve that keeps the rail primed.
my 0017 code is fixed , my exhaust cam sprocket was a hole off..
yeah pressure drops to 5lbs or less in about 5 minutes
Old 06-12-2023, 10:51 PM

Fuel pressure should hold longer than that. Your long start could be a bad check valve in the fuel pump, except that the puff of smoke suggests a leaky injector.

You could try turning on the ignition without starting twice before actually starting. (The fuel pump only runs for about two seconds or so if you don't start it. I don't remember the exact time.) This should bring up the fuel pressure. If it's a bad check valve but not leaking too badly, it should now start without hesitation. Maybe if it's a leaky injector it will start quickly too, but the smoke might be worse.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 06-14-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:23 AM

This is what I was referencing " it was a 0017 code.... misfire cyl #1"
Old 06-13-2023, 08:36 AM
Administrator

The primary cause of the P0017 is timing chain

Causes may include: Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear Misalignment of timing belt/chain Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken Bad crank sensor Bad cam sensor Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer A mis-built or mis-timed engine A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0017
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
Old 06-13-2023, 09:28 AM

Evidently he knew that because he fixed it.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:33 PM

OK so.... thought because exhaust smelled rich cheap amazon injectors were leaking down...

new Walker brand injectors, NO CHANGE still after sitting for 2 minutes, long start (6-7 revolutions before starting) slight 1-3sec. stumble when it does start.

so has to be the fuel pump check valve, right?

new fuel pump installed...

MUCH BETTER! but... I've let it sit different time spans, sometimes starts fine, id's say once in every 5 starts it will have to go 3 revolutions before starting with slight 1-2second stumble all the other 4 times starts first revolution

so, it is better, inside gas tank was spotless, im a bit lost at this point It always started first crank though ran with a mis fire, after the work done ( timing chain, injectors) this long start issue started, so now it's only occasionally what would i look at?

I've search for a disconnected plug, connector or damaged wires. there is some round apparatus on the end of fuel rail. My understanding is pressure regulator is in the fuel pump.?

after a while i do have a "too rich" error code so I ordered good quality (up and downstream) o2 sensors will be here Wed. I wouldn't think this would cause a long start... but at this point nothing would Suprise me.

as a first time HHR owner it runs great now, I've done enough on it now when it is actually fixed, I'll nearly be an HHR expert... but i do see how these gained a bad reputation. just seems like a chain of error... fix one and the next instantly appears maybe due to previous owner's lack of maintenance idk.

It does run great now and drives super nice I could see road tripping this is such a smooth ride and goes pretty good too.

so not HHR bashing but it has been a headache just need this last little issue fixed.

Quick Reply: Misfire Mayhem