Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

More EPS fun...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM

From what I understand, the SS steering can be centered with a TechII but the LS/LT cannot, which leads me to believe there could be differences in the "black box". Maybe Cobalts have a SS box? I may be mis reading the Mitchell.

And every "black box" that connects to the BCM needs to be programmed to the BCM. They each have a serial number that needs to be inserted.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSHEETS
I put a complete EPS system out of an 03 Saturn Ion. Mechanically it's identical, but once plugged in it locked up the security system. Out the old one back and the car starts and all is Well, jus no power steering still!

So, can the EPS controller from an 03 Saturn Ion be flashed to work with my 06 HHR?

If I buy a new one for the correct year and model no# will the car run and maybe just need calibration???
I don't think we can help you with this, when you start swapping parts from 10 year old cars that aren't HHRs.

I have also merged your other related posts and threads that were all related to this issue into this thread. It makes it much easier to follow your posts on a problem when they are all in a single thread.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Deceased

When it comes to modules, you have to go like for like. Don't try to "mix and match" electronic control components across vehicles that share a platform.

HHR's get HHR parts from either the same or a compatible model year, then they have to be matched to the BCM via a Tech II, otherwise....it's a no go.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I don't think we can help you with this, when you start swapping parts from 10 year old cars that aren't HHRs.

I have also merged your other related posts and threads that were all related to this issue into this thread. It makes it much easier to follow your posts on a problem when they are all in a single thread.
Thanks, I can return the unit. I just thought it was worth the effort to see if it worked, it was only my time and $70 minus which I can get back.

I ordered a scanner so I can see if it will tell me more specific errors such as "EPS motor," "Torque sensor," EPS module" etc. I understand the BCM stores DTCs for each specific failure. If so, that will be a huge help.

After swapping the entire unit a few times I could take the new unit and some tools and swap it out in the dealer's parking lot in about 30 minutes and then have them program it. That would save a lot of labor $$$.

Like I said, until I can see the DTC's I'm shooting in the dark.

Thanks guys!!

Tim
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Don't expect to see that type of error pop up without a TechII. I don't see PIDs for the BCM in Scanmaster. Most scanners that you can buy for under $200 only read the ECM, over $200 the ABS, I think you need the TechII or equivalent for anything more.

Scanmaster does recognize there is a TCM, but won't read it. Mostly because GM has blocked the PIDs.

If you can, please let me know how you did it.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:37 PM

And this is better than the diagram:

Ironically, I like the idea of the EPS. It only draws parasitic power while the steering needs assistance. Using a DC motor you can use electronics to reverse and adjust torque. Pretty smart...much smarter than me!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 06:43 PM

Well this has me even more scared to attempt changing mine out. I have purchased a unit from a cobalt, close year to my 06 hhr and hoped that if I swapped out the lock cylinders and keopt mine all would be ok. From what I just read ....maybe it wont be.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Well this has me even more scared to attempt changing mine out. I have purchased a unit from a cobalt, close year to my 06 hhr and hoped that if I swapped out the lock cylinders and keopt mine all would be ok. From what I just read ....maybe it wont be.
Keep your old black box, should work.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Well here's one for the books. I've been messing with this for weeks. Tried swapping with the Saturn unit no VIN match, bad news. Put original unit back in, back to square one. Replaced battery as it seemed weak and winter is approaching. Bought scanner and OBDII apps, no codes.
I finally gave up and made an appointment to have it diagnosed...so I spent some time messing with the shifter as it was sticking (key release). I checked the limit switches for the brake pedal release and the key release off of the shifter shaft. Cleaned everything up with some high quality (tri-flo) lube and put everything back together.

I started it up to make sure the gear selector and key worked fine and the power steering now works. I drove it around about 10 miles with starts and stops and everything is fine.

This leads me to follow the motor theory. Since I had a terminal failure, but the motor would run on the bench I wasn't convinced. But this could make it more intermittent. Or perhaps working on the console moved a wire by the interior fuse block where the 2 amp control fuse is?

I wish the motor from the other unit was compatible, but it has a different shaft design.

Well we'll see.

Tim
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM

My power steering was going out intermittently and I called the dealer. There is a conditional recall on them. Dealer replaced the motor free of charge. Check there before spending your dollars.