Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

My HHR Won't Shift Out Of Park, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
OK so if it's the shifter not moving (auto= automatic transmission! sorry lol), it's been said that if any liquids have been (accidentally) spilled on the shifter, that can happen. If not there may be a problem with one of the rods in the shift linkage.
Yes, that's what they're saying happened, that it "looks" as though liquid of some kind, at some point, was spilled on the shifter....~sigh~ I'm always very careful when I have any type of beverage, in our car, to be honest I almost always have a small plastic bottle of 7-Up, that I have the cap on if I'm not drinking, or again, something else such as Snapple, again with the cap on if I'm not drinking, lol, so I honestly can't place "when" it might have happened ~ who really knows....but, I'm wondering if what they're telling me is true, that it could even have happened quite some time ago (? not sure if that might mean a few months even??), and it just now finally "shorted" out the shifter mechanism~ does anyone know if that's at all possible?
Needless to say, it was too much of a disruptive experience already, to have it towed from my Mom's last night, to the dealership, so we've decided to just have the dealership install a new one...though, of course, I'm sure if we had the actual time/patience/towings available, lol, we might find another mechanic/garage that would be able to charge somewhat less (dealership charging the highest amount for labor, than anyone else, has always been my experience!)~ the other question is, how soon would they be able to get the part, and would they also charge for a diagnosis, fee (at least our dealership DID waive that, for us, though this shifter is NOT covered since we don't have an extended warranty?), which then would up the price!
I spoke to our mechanic that we normally go, to, and he said he would have to do another diagnosis, "to see what is going on", which ups the cost, when THEY would look at it (that seems silly if I already know, it's the shifter, lol!), one way or another....I swear they get ya coming and going...lol! Oh well, at least we will have the HHR back this evening....thanks so much y'all for your help!!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM

You said you had a wheel bearing replaced that day. MAYBE whoever moved the vehicle accidently spilled something.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Founding Member

Soda's are an HHR shift assemblies worst enemy. Just like the sugar or sugar products are not good for us they also do bad things to the shifters.

I know it doesn't help the pain of paying for the shifter, but they did redesign the replacement shifters to help stop this from happening.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Soda's are an HHR shift assemblies worst enemy. Just like the sugar or sugar products are not good for us they also do bad things to the shifters.

I know it doesn't help the pain of paying for the shifter, but they did redesign the replacement shifters to help stop this from happening.
That's interesting, I did comment to the hubby, that the new shifter did seem different, in design/appearance ~ how is it supposed to help stop the (possible/accidental) spillage problem? I was going to ask if anyone knew, lol, of any type of "cover" or item, that you could maybe buy to place over/around the shifter~ doubt that is possible or at all practical ~ LOL!
I really believe my Mom or I, at one time or another, spilled a little pop, though it's really hard to try and pinpoint it, and the service dept. technician said it could have even occurred, quite some time ago, and just now shorted it out ~ believe me lesson learned.....will be extremely careful from here on out!! I don't remember having to be this careful with the shifter in our other GM (Olds Alero), but apparently the HHR shifter assembly is much more delicate?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by fringeIT
You said you had a wheel bearing replaced that day. MAYBE whoever moved the vehicle accidently spilled something.
Honestly, in the end I think my Mom or I, more than likely, spilled something, I don't think it was our mechanic at all, he's very careful ~ I will definitely be more careful from now on, ugh!! I wish I knew though, if it's possible that it could have developed from a spill that occurred over time (that's what the mechanic at our service dept. claimed), does anyone know (ie., as opposed to having a very recent spill)?