Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Need help with leak diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 PM

Need help with leak diagnosis

I noticed a small spot in the driveway the other day and really didn't think anything of it. But I have been noticing the spot is there daily now.
It's not a huge spot but eventually it will add up to something worse. I checked my oil and the level is spot on so I am leaning towards
transmission fluid due to the proximity of where I am seeing fluid. The fluid is not red but that could be due to the fact that it is due for a fluid
change. I don't think it is a pan gasket leak but maybe it is.

Does anyone have any ideas of where this is coming from?

PHOTOS:

Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Looks like the trans fluid lines are leaking, I just replaced mine and that solved the issue, take a look at the trans cooler lines from the trans to the rad on the front drivers side of the engine bay. Mine were leaking where the metal and flexible lines met! Have a look at this link there are diagrams in the thread

www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49041
Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Has the ATF ever been changed? It looks sort of a leak around the pan bolts.

But then, it could be motor oil from the crankshaft seal.

What does it smell and feel like? Oil feels and smells different from ATF.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Sure looks like engine oil to me.
If your trans fluid was that dark, well...........yikes.

Like donbrew said, try a smell test.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:56 PM

Welcome to the site

I would give the oil pressure sending unit a look. If it's wet replace it. Here is a diagram to help find it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Deceased

to the forum!

Ditto on the smell and feel test, but it looks like engine oil to me. As Lucky pointed out, look around the pressure sender, but dont stop there, it could even be leaking from the cam cover.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 PM

Looks like engine oil to me as well. How about a very leaky oil filter o-ring as to the cause?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like the heaviest concentration is on the lower drivers side. I'd start looking at the oil filter canister as a start.

If you are very careful, you could hose the engine down (again, being very careful of electronics, etc.) and then take a spin. Should reveal the leaking point based on the amount of oil in the photos (unless it has been doing this for quite a while and you just noticed it).

You can after washing it down, dry it with a leaf blower or compressed air, and spray a cheap foot powder around some suspected areas. The oil will streak through the powder, illustrating the starting point.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 PM

The front of the block is totally dry I didn't see anything there.
I checked the oil drain plug it was dry as well. The more I looked at it
it looked like I have oil seeping out where the transmission meets the block.
Which could possibly mean a rear main seal. I did notice some sludge on the transmission cooler lines. But nothing to the point of the mess I have down there.

I called AAA and had them tow it to the garage. However I'm not taking it to a stealership again. The one that I bought it from is crooked. And the one near my house takes 2 weeks to do anything. I have an extended warranty through EasyCare which should cover pretty much anything. Has anyone else ever dealt with this warranty company?
Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Looks like the heaviest concentration is on the lower drivers side. I'd start looking at the oil filter canister as a start.

If you are very careful, you could hose the engine down (again, being very careful of electronics, etc.) and then take a spin. Should reveal the leaking point based on the amount of oil in the photos (unless it has been doing this for quite a while and you just noticed it).

You can after washing it down, dry it with a leaf blower or compressed air, and spray a cheap foot powder around some suspected areas. The oil will streak through the powder, illustrating the starting point.
For anyone wishing to hose the engine down: REMOVE the air intake tube, the"wooly worm" or it will disintegrate.

Quick Reply: Need help with leak diagnosis