Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

​​​​​​​Newbie adds a Woolly Worm idea & question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 10:13 AM

​​​​​​​Newbie adds a Woolly Worm idea & question!

Hello, I just registered, but have been lurking for a few weeks. Glad to be a member!

I was wiping down my engine bay a couple of days ago and saw that my cold air intake hose was degraded and torn in two small places (shocker!). The tears were immediately adjacent to one another, so I decided to try to repair it in place, rather than engage in a full modification right now.

It fits tightly back together, but still needs support to hold its shape. I first thought about buying a 36” x 5” strip of gray wool felt ($8 w/shipping) and tightly wrapping it and clamping it on either end. I also thought of using wool thread ($8 w/shipping; both on Etsy) to sew the new felt onto the extremely tough, existing felt. If anyone wants to try it, you need a thimble and curved upholstery needles (not expensive) to get through it. The degraded areas are thin, though; don’t anchor much of your stitching here or it will tear and make your situation worse. This wouldn’t work for lots of shredding.

However, I also came up with the lazy gal’s option:
steel safety pins, which worked!! But, since I’m an American, I’m itching to add the coup d’ gras and wrap it in heavy-duty, black duct tape. Actually, this is because it’ll look better, keep the pins snugly in place and be air tight. And, so, finally my question: will the tape melt in this area? Particularly on the underside? I know silver foil tape will work, but I really don’t want that hideously ugly stuff under my hood

Thanks!
Dinah
Old 09-01-2018, 10:24 AM

You have a good idea but don't chase a ghost. Just replace the hose with flexible (semi-rigid) dryer vent hose that can be bought at large box stores.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:25 AM

Duct tape is fine. Or 3 inch vent tube from the HD/Lowes AC dept works.

Remove the air cleaner and pop the hose out of the hole in the wheel well. It is just a rubber grommet in the hole. remove the rubber end to b reused.
Don't do what most of us have done; try to loosen the clamp on the air cleaner end, the screw is on the wrong side on purpose.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Duct tape is fine. Or 3 inch vent tube from the HD/Lowes AC dept works.

Remove the air cleaner and pop the hose out of the hole in the wheel well. It is just a rubber grommet in the hole. remove the rubber end to b reused.
Don't do what most of us have done; try to loosen the clamp on the air cleaner end, the screw is on the wrong side on purpose.
Excellent tip! My schedule is packed for the next couple of weeks and I don’t have time for the full removal and replacing that I’ve seen and heard about. Some YouTube videos recommend using glue on the hose, as well as clamps, (I dunno why) and letting it cure, which I don’t have time for. But, I may be able to do what you’re suggesting fairly quickly. Since you’ve done it, would you mind telling me what I might need to cut through the plastic inside to remove the offending mid-section? Would heavy-duty kitchen shears be up to the job? I just cut right on the outside edge of the felt, right? Anything else I should know? Thanks so much!!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
You have a good idea but don't chase a ghost. Just replace the hose with flexible (semi-rigid) dryer vent hose that can be bought at large box stores.
Thanks! I plan to. I just don’t have much time to spare right now and am doing the lickety-split version, which I hope to get away with because my leak isn’t too bad :)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM

You will need something capable of cutting the steel wire spiral. Wire cutters, saw/ good shears etc.

I wrapped mine in duct tape; Oldblue replace with 3 inch dryer vent.

The tube is not a critical part, the car will run acceptably without it. It is for a slight reduction in the intake air temp. Marginal performance improvemet at best.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, great idea to patch the woolly worm

My second cold air intake tube to the stock air box
Old 09-01-2018, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You will need something capable of cutting the steel wire spiral. Wire cutters, saw/ good shears etc.

I wrapped mine in duct tape; Oldblue replace with 3 inch dryer vent.

The tube is not a critical part, the car will run acceptably without it. It is for a slight reduction in the intake air temp. Marginal performance improvemet at best.
Thanks, Don! There’s so much misinformation out there. At least three things I’ve seen have said the spiral is plastic. I’ve not seen otherwise yet, so you’re my guardian angel today. And I’ve definitely got something that can do the job. Glad I didn’t go out there with scissors.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Oldblue;851265]
Welcome to the site, great idea to patch the woolly worm

Thanks, Oldblue! I’m really pleased to be here. I’m glad you like my idea. I know it’s a little outside the box 😜
Old 09-01-2018, 04:24 PM
Administrator

We used to call “outside the box” thinking, hot rodding!

Quick Reply: ​​​​​​​Newbie adds a Woolly Worm idea & question!