Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No chime when door is opened with key still in ignition, cylinder or switch? Both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 05:47 PM

No chime when door is opened with key still in ignition, cylinder or switch? Both?

Now that the bigger problems on my '06 are sorted I'm starting to tackle the smaller ones and this one has a bit of a safety tie so it's getting done first. I can currently just turn the ignition all the way off and pull the key out even if the car is currently moving down the road, I also have no chime unless the key is turned to the on position. The chime works normally everywhere else like when a door is opened or if I turn the headlights off of Automatic but not with the ignition off and door open. I thought I'd try my luck but a very nice person at a Chevrolet dealership said my vehicle is not eligible for the recall so I'm on my own. Does the chime trigger come from the switch or the cylinder itself?
Old 02-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Administrator

The ignition switch recall should cover all HHRs , try a different dealership but check this out first
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tsb_recall/recalls

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/tsb_recall/tsbs
Old 02-21-2023, 06:39 PM

I apologize I had trouble on the website I was using but using yours it says my HHR already got the recall done in 2014 dang it! Someone has definitely been in there since because I found that the PO wired their aftermarket amplifier "sensing" wire to the brown or black cable coming from the ignition switch connector. It was soldered so this will have to be removed and resoldered at a later date since I don't have a soldering iron that's mobile enough at the moment. They also jammed a piece of a stick into the plastic button that releases the key. I thought I had broken something when I took that out because the key would no longer turn all the way off. After realizing the sticks job I re-inserted it so I could take my keys out, I'm guessing I need a new solenoid and I also need to figure out what that brown or black wire is for do you have a diagram by chance?

Old 02-21-2023, 06:41 PM

I'm guessing when I say sensing wire by the way only because it meets up with a red and black cable coming from the battery area along with RCA cables. Have no clue why they'd wire it STRAIGHT to the ignition basically but at least they did a good job taking it out since the Pioneer system still fully works.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:47 PM

Somebody has disabled the interlock system. Can you shift out of park without your foot on the brake?
The chimes are generated by the BCM and played by the radio. The ignition switch is a one-wire thing with various resistors. My guess is somebody thought it was a 59 chevy where the ignition switch has an octopus of connectors. The switch is just a position sensor
Old 02-22-2023, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Not many wires to the ignition switch
Old 02-22-2023, 11:48 AM

I have to press the brake to shift still, after removing that wire thankfully nothing changed. Thank you so much for that diagram you're right that was a dumb place to put that. Do you think the interlock itself could be damaged? It looks pretty new and is plugged in but I'm very unfamiliar with how the ignition system works in this car.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:49 AM

Would you have a diagram of the hood latch switch? I've replaced the switch and made sure it had a tight connection but I do not receive a "HOOD OPEN" message and I'd love to do some probin to see why, maybe the wires for that got messed with too?
Old 02-22-2023, 12:08 PM

It is to simple to bother with. There are actually 2 switches; one is "closed" the other is "not open". 2 wires to each one to ground one to the BCM. I'm not sure there is supposed to be a message; it does inhibit remote start.

According to the Owner Manual (link in my sig) there is no "hood open" message.

You will have to ask whoever tore the wiring apart how to revert it. They probably had some sort of security and remote start installed by someone that had no clue. My guess is they spliced some wires. Those systems vary.

My best advice is to look at all of the wires around the BCM and under the hood for signs of tampering.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:10 PM

Ok I'll take a look around the switch and the BCM. Only thing I know so far is that it's missing a bolt to hold it down so I need to hit up an LKQ. It's still secure in there just not 100%

Quick Reply: No chime when door is opened with key still in ignition, cylinder or switch? Both?