Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No longer able to accelerate after checking wheel hub.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM

No longer able to accelerate after checking wheel hub.

Hey guys i have gotten so much help from the forums here from the last few years and now i need some serious help. I have over 200k on my 07 HHR 2.2 LS and last week i cleaned out my Fuel injectors and fuel rail after getting really bad surging problems. It fixed my surging problems and returned the idle to normal and i had plenty of power at idle to run the A/C. This week I jacked up the front wheels to check the wheel bearings as i need to replace the passenger side one and i wanted to check the driver side. After checking the hubs i turned on the car and took a drive and i have no power in second gear i can make it up to 20mph easily but after that i takes a long while to get it going i can make it up to 60 but it feels like it takes forever. Tomorrow ill pull the Cam Position sensor and see it that's bad but any help would be appreciated. I'm so lost on this Issue. Ive never had my transmission fluid replaced also so i'm thinking that it may be a bad transmission?....
Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

have you checked for a code in the computer ?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Deceased

Have your codes pulled, even if the CEL is not illuminated currently, the computer may have stored diagnostic codes.

Most auto parts stores will pull the codes for free and give you a printout, without the codes we're guessing at best.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM

I have not I am unable to get to the auto parts store I'm on my way to try and rent one from them. ill post what I find.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 AM

If there scanner does not show a code I would at least try disconnecting the battery
for at least a few minutes then reconnect and try.

Also check all fuses just in case
Old 08-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by papasmurfsss
Hey guys i have gotten so much help from the forums here from the last few years and now i need some serious help. I have over 200k on my 07 HHR 2.2 LS and last week i cleaned out my Fuel injectors and fuel rail after getting really bad surging problems. It fixed my surging problems and returned the idle to normal and i had plenty of power at idle to run the A/C. This week I jacked up the front wheels to check the wheel bearings as i need to replace the passenger side one and i wanted to check the driver side. After checking the hubs i turned on the car and took a drive and i have no power in second gear i can make it up to 20mph easily but after that i takes a long while to get it going i can make it up to 60 but it feels like it takes forever. Tomorrow ill pull the Cam Position sensor and see it that's bad but any help would be appreciated. I'm so lost on this Issue. Ive never had my transmission fluid replaced also so i'm thinking that it may be a bad transmission?....
How did you clean fuel injectors and fuel rail?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by blacky
How did you clean fuel injectors and fuel rail?
I just took off the connections and noticed severe "crud" on two of them so I flushed the fuel line with gas and a tried to scrap away any buildup on the injectors themselves. I did take off the power side to te battery to reset. And I wasn't able to rent a code scanner. I did change the transmission filter and oil and that seemed to help some but it's still doing this weird stalling for like 5 seconds before it accelerates.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:50 PM

What did you do to "check the wheel hub"? Did you accidentally disconnect/damage ABS wiring?

I am having a difficult time understanding the connections here.

"changed the transmission filter" Did you put the correct amount of ATF back in?

Don't be scraping on injectors, please. Real bad practice. Crud on 2 of them makes me wonder about head gaskets, valves, spark plugs etc. May be some of the scraped crud is now blocking something.

Is the CEL on?

Last edited by donbrew; 08-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by papasmurfsss
I just took off the connections and noticed severe "crud" on two of them so I flushed the fuel line with gas and a tried to scrap away any buildup on the injectors themselves. I did take off the power side to te battery to reset. And I wasn't able to rent a code scanner. I did change the transmission filter and oil and that seemed to help some but it's still doing this weird stalling for like 5 seconds before it accelerates.
Do you mean you took off the electrical connectors and noticed crud, or actually pulled the injectors and found crud on the business end?

Assuming the latter, it would probably be worthwhile at this point to pull the injectors and spark plugs, keeping them in order for cylinder diagnosis. Let us know what you find.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:21 PM

Flushing with gas is useless...gas is present all the time..gas is what caused or assisted the problem in the first place. Its like trying to clean up spaghetti sauce with more sauce....

Quick Reply: No longer able to accelerate after checking wheel hub.