Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

No start/no crank

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:30 AM
Naz

Hi!! I have a 06 Chevy HHR, I was Driving and the power steering, and check battery system pop.on, and then the car caught off in the middle of the road. Lucky a jump started it back up, when I got home, and tried to restart it, I didn't have no power. So I brought a new battery, starter and alternator and now the car is making a clicking noise from the fuse box and it's still not starting up but I do have power, and the power steering and low fuel words are popping up on the dash. Can anyone help me please, it's driving me crazy, I spent almost 600 on parts and tools and still no luck, someone help me please, I have no money for a mechanic and can't drive it nowhere to get it look at!???
Old 06-20-2020, 10:39 AM

Look at the connection of the large red wire to the under hood fuse box. That sometimes gets loose or corroded.

Then view this youtube take the fuse box apart apply dielectrig greas to all of the contacts and reassemble.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Floridaguy99
Hi all,

I am helping my younger brother with his car issue. He has a 2008 HHR (auto trans) that will not start or crank. He lives about two and a half hours away from me. Yesterday I drove to his place to try and help him fix the car.

First thing we did was take the battery to get tested. After testing good, we got a full charge on it and headed back to the car. I verified that the battery connection wires were clean and corrosion free. I inspected the battery ground terminal (chassis side) and ensured it was also good to go. I checked the 30A crank fuse(#5) in the fuse box and made sure it was good. I also ohmed out the crank relay (#34) and tried swapping it with another relay of the same part number. I also inspected the two posts to the left of the engine fuse box and made sure they were tight and secure. After doing all this, it still did not start or crank.

I went ahead and replaced the starter. I ensured all connections were nice and tight. I cleaned the terminal heads with a wire brush to clean off any corrosion. The vehicle still did not start. I replaced the ignition switch too and it also did not fix the problem. I attempted to start the car in neutral to see if changing the position of the park/neutral position switch would help any.

When the key is turned to start the vehicle, the headlights go out (or very dim, it was the day time). There is no clicking noise made. Any idea or input would be greatly appreciated. All the lights in the dash go out while the key is held to the start position. I am planning to head back again this upcoming weekend to continue troubleshooting. I have attached a wiring schematic of the starter system in case it helps any.
I'm having similar problems with my ss (I made a post). The headlights turning off I think is normal up the key being turned, mine is doing the same. You'll notice radio lights and info shut down somewhat for a second as well