Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Noisy roof (headliner)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Can you determine where your headliner is rattling? Mine was inline with the back of the sunroof and more of a chaffing or scratching noise. When it made noise, I could reach up and gently push up on the headliner in the area of the noise and it would cease. As soon as I stopped the noise returned. Also didn't do it all the time. It seemed worse in cooler conditions and/or over coarse or rough roads.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 PM

Its a rattle in the side of the headliner. Where the B pillar meets the top/front or the back driver side door. I have tried pushing, punching, tapping, slapping, and even putting my fingers in the huge gap in the headliner. Nothing stops the knocking in the headliner. Its constant if i go over any type of small bumps.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Does temperature make a difference? I know mine was more pronounced in cooler temps, but often disappeared when temps were hot. Your dealer heard/confirmed yet no resolution? The squeaky wheel gets the grease (pun intended)---keep trying. Good luck. That's about the only real complaint I have about our HHR--numerous rattles, squeaks which gives off the impression the car is falling apart, yet it is quite solid and trouble free.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Driver front headliner rattle

My headliner has had a relatively soft rattle going over bumps since I purchased my HHR used in January of this year. The location of the rattle is on the driver's side, toward the front. It sounds in location and quality just like the sun visor vibrating against the headliner, but the sun visor isn't actually hitting anything. I took it to one dealer, who told me two things:
1. The noise is related to taking the car apart to do the recall where they inserted shock absorbing pieces in the top corners HHRs that didn't come with side airbags. Because this was done with the recall, it might create a noise and there is nothing to do about it.
2. They couldn't hear anything.

With respect to the noise being from the recall and not fixable, that can't be true because the same work was done on both sides, and the passenger side is quiet!

1st dealer didn't charge me for not finding the headliner noise (they fixed some other stuff too for which I was charged appropriately).

I guess I try another dealer? Any other suggestions (I am not adept mechanically)?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 PM

It is temperature sensitive, but the opposite way. If its warmer it does it more. After two days at the dealer, they have started the blame game. They are saying it is the aftermarket moonroof that was installed by the dealer (I had to remind them, hey, guess what, you guys installed that moonroof). So now its staying for a 3rd day and hopefully they fix the ballooning headliner. It puffs out like a balloon when the moonroof is open.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bjall4jc
Its a rattle in the side of the headliner. Where the B pillar meets the top/front or the back driver side door. I have tried pushing, punching, tapping, slapping, and even putting my fingers in the huge gap in the headliner. Nothing stops the knocking in the headliner. Its constant if i go over any type of small bumps.
It has a adheasive like matrerial at the b pillar. They will need to lower the front of the head liner down and restick it. The noise is the head liner pulling on the part that holds it.

It can be fixed very easy. If the dealer put the roof in then they should take care of it.

My dealer fixed mine in a very short period of time.

Keep on them as they will finally fix it to shut you up.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
It has a adheasive like matrerial at the b pillar. They will need to lower the front of the head liner down and restick it. The noise is the head liner pulling on the part that holds it.

It can be fixed very easy. If the dealer put the roof in then they should take care of it.

My dealer fixed mine in a very short period of time.

Keep on them as they will finally fix it to shut you up.
i think mine may need this redone...but beings I'm out of warranty, I'd have to do it myself if I do it at all.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 PM

My rattle sounded like it was coming from around the ceiling hooks. I could not take it any more and had to track down where it was coming from. Here's what I did and it stopped the rattle. Remove the seat belt trim and bolts of the front and rear seats. (top) Unbolt the seat belts at the top. Gently pull the headliner down in the middle of the rear seat by the doors enough to squeeze your hand in. Up at the top you will feel something that resembles a hard egg carton. (This piece is likely loose if your hearing a rattle.) Place a piece of felt or cloth between this piece and the roof. (The cloth/felt has to be thin or you will notice a buldge.) Tap around the ceiling of the car to find the best position for the felt/cloth. This should fix it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Another rattle I found is in the front seat belts where the height can be adjusted. Adjusting the height of the seat belt took care of the problem.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM

Oh BTW 2008 HHR SS with no sunroof.