Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Observation about Ecotec oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:26 PM

Observation about Ecotec oil filters

The Delco and Wix have a smaller diameter opening in the middle vs. the Supertech and FRAM (opening where anti-drainback valve is mounted).

I recently compared a Purolator Premium Plus unit (15436) to the Delco PF457G and noticed the Purolator had the same larger diameter opening as the Supertech and Fram units.

I wonder if this would effect Flow Rate, or if it causes the OEM design (Wix, Delco) to function differently in some fashion vs. the others? The narrower opening appers to be the reason Wix and Delco have the s-shaped mounting rails for the anti-drainback valve.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:59 PM

Not sure LR.....what are you using on this latest oil change?

Goose
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM

AC Delco at the moment. K&N really hypes their flow rate. Tempting, but not for $15.99... K&N oil filters are made by Champion I think, if I remember right from what I read on BITOG. I made a post to that ecotec oil filter thread on BITOG a little while ago, about trying to figure out how these cartridge filters work in the ecotec. It appears as though there is no design intent to try and hold oil in the filter housing once the engine is shut down.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 AM

What`s BITOG?
Isn`t the filter/canister mounted above the oil pan, vertically?
How would you expect the oil filter to stay full, and if it did, what amount of pressure would be required to move oil through such a filter?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
What`s BITOG?
Isn`t the filter/canister mounted above the oil pan, vertically?
How would you expect the oil filter to stay full, and if it did, what amount of pressure would be required to move oil through such a filter?
BITOG is Bob is the Oil Guy Forum....

Anti Drain Back Valve is what is used on oil filters to keep oil from draining out of the filter back into the sump..I've never used a cartridge filter before so not sure exactly how this works...I'm sure there has to be some sort of anti drain back as if not all your containments that the filter catches would drain back into your system

Goose
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM

My thoughts-stick with the AC/Delco. If, heaven forbid, you have any problems with your engine, you know GM will try to blame something you did. I bought a case of them from my dealer (got a good price) and keep records of all of my oil changes (also using Mobil 1).

If you use a different brand, even though we all know there should be no real difference, GM could blame your problem on using not factory parts.

(Like I am one to talk-with modified suspension, engine and computer, changed stereo, and other electronic add-on's)
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
It appears as though there is no design intent to try and hold oil in the filter housing once the engine is shut down.
That seems to be correct. When I check the oil right after the engine is shut off, the dipstick shows the oil at the Max indicator. If I let the car sit for hours, the oil is about 1/4" above the Max indicator.

BTW, when checking the oil, have the indicators on the dipstick facing the engine. Goose made that discovery.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Black Rose

BTW, when checking the oil, have the indicators on the dipstick facing the engine. Goose made that discovery.
I did not know this.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Yeah...as you insert the stick back in...let it sort of turn like it wants to....the natural path will be for it to turn over towards the engine. Don't force it to go back in straight like I was doing....if you do that your oil will always read high. Let it just twist and with 5 qts it will be dead on

Goose