Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

OS wheel vibration driving me mad! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Exclamation OS wheel vibration driving me mad! help!

I'm not sure exactly how this forum thing works...but I need some help...

I have an 07 hhr ls... I recently put on a set of 20x8.5 boss 318 chrome wheels... the problem is that between 45 and about 60 I get a ridiculous vibration through out the car... What I am wondering is if anyone would happen to know what this could be attributed to?

I've had them balanced and rebalanced to no avail..

I'm beginning to think it could be one of three things...
a) the tires I have on them (falken fk452-- 225/30 zr20) are to narrow;
B) the rim is just to big and to much weight for the car
c) the rim is bent ever so slightly and I cant tell but its becomes quite noticeable while driving...

If anyone has had this problem or a similar one and has any suggestions as to what to do, any help is greatly appreciated! thank you in advance!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 PM

it could be a force variation causing the vibration not an out of balance problem. this can be caused by the wheel or the tire. a computer simulated road test would find this problem.

it also could be an out of round tire or a wheel out of round or a stiff spot in the tire.

i am assuming there was no vibration before the wheels and tires were changed.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 PM

It could also be cause by wheels that are designed to be hub-centric.... Meaning they need to be fitted to the center hub of the car to run true. When the rims were installed did the center hole fit "tight" to the hub or was there play at the hub. If there was play you can get rings that fit between the hub and the center hole of the rim..... this will keep the rim centered on the hub when the rim is mounted.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:41 PM

ok... two questions... how and where would i do that and two... how much does it cost... cause im not gonna lie... it sounds kinda pricey....
Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 PM

most wheel tire places can do it they just do not cause it takes longer.but if they specialize in wheels and tire they should be able to i would call around and ask.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ts5p

i am assuming there was no vibration before the wheels and tires were changed.

and correct...there was no vibration pre- rims...
Old 08-27-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by HHorange
It could also be cause by wheels that are designed to be hub-centric.... Meaning they need to be fitted to the center hub of the car to run true. When the rims were installed did the center hole fit "tight" to the hub or was there play at the hub. If there was play you can get rings that fit between the hub and the center hole of the rim..... this will keep the rim centered on the hub when the rim is mounted.
i tried that already... the hubcentric rings are on... minimal difference though.... but thanks anyway...
Old 08-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

The VERY FIRST thing to check is the rotor retainer washers.

Many aftermarket wheels do not have the machined relief for the washers to fit in.....the OEM's do.

Remove the rims and see if the retainers are still on (usually 2 per wheel). If they are, spin or cut them off. They are only needed during the assembly process as the vehicle progresses down the assembly line.

Then remount the rims and tighten the lug nuts in the customary "star" pattern....using a torque wrench at 100'#.

After that, get back with us.....but I would bet that's your problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with Snoopy first..

Then if necessary:
I'd look for a custom wheel & tire shop that uses a "ROAD FORCE" wheel balancer.. It tells the operator everything, even if the tire needs rotated a bit to use less wheel weights, rim run-out, tire run out, & etc...

This will give you a computer print out also...

I had my S-10 American Racing Rims balanced like 6 or 7 times. They finally sent me to a shop with a "ROAD FORCE" balancer.. Smooth as glass after that..
Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by HHorange
I predict this or the clips on the rotors are the issue. Both are very common anymore and easy to fix.

Quick Reply: OS wheel vibration driving me mad! help!