Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

OS wheel vibration driving me mad! help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:38 AM

If all else fails,try moving the wheels around the hubs by one lug stud.McPherson strut suspensions are susceptible to wheel vibration and sometimes this will cure it.We used to do that a lot at the VW dealer I worked at back in the 70s.
I almost hate to be the one suggesting it but you may have one or more bad rims.I'll assume that you haven't curbed the ones presently on your car(which could bend or crack them) to cause the imbalance problem.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM

My 07 doesnt have retainer clips?? Never Did!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 AM

An additional thought.Have you tried moving the rims front to back to see if the vibration followed the change in location?If it does,it's a bad wheel or wheels.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:59 PM

OK since there doesn't seem to be a solution yet here is another thing to try.

Jack up one wheel at a time. While holding something (non-metal) and prefe close to the rim and held stable, that you can use as a pointer, rotate or have someone rotated the tire see if the gap between the rim and fixed object changes. This will let you check for a rim that is out of true.

Next use same method but place your fixed pointer at the tread of the tire. This lets you check for a tire that is out of round. This could be caused by a defective tire it can also be caused by a tire that is not fully/properly seated on the rim.

A wood or soft plastic pointer is your best bet. If you use a metal pointer and the rim is not true you run the risk of it hitting the rim and scratching it.

just a couple more ideas for you.............
Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 PM

thanks all!

thank for the ideas every one...

the retainer clips were removed... that did nothing...

havent kissed any curbs or anything with these rims... no scratches or anything...

they have been rotated back to front to back over and over... rims got balanced and rotated 4 times in the first 4 weeks.... nothing...

gonna take it to a high performance shop around here to see if they can figure it out...

will post any updates...

thanks again for all the input...

truly appreciate it...

on a lighter note... got new brakes today... painted calipers and drums black to match the car... looks nice... will post picks....
Old 08-29-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm just going to throw this out there: could it be something as simply as the wheels being over-torqued when they are put back on? I've read that vibrations can be associated with over-torqued wheels and many wheel shops use impact guns which could lead to a problem. Do the nuts get torqued properly whenever they are put on?
Old 08-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSguy

I'd look for a custom wheel & tire shop that uses a "ROAD FORCE" wheel balancer.. It tells the operator everything, even if the tire needs rotated a bit to use less wheel weights, rim run-out, tire run out, & etc...

This will give you a computer print out also...

I had my S-10 American Racing Rims balanced like 6 or 7 times.
They finally sent me to a shop with a "ROAD FORCE" balancer..

Smooth as glass after that..
I still think this could be the problem.. I drove me nuts till I had mine done on the Road Force balancer...
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSguy
I still think this could be the problem.. I drove me nuts till I had mine done on the Road Force balancer...
did that too...lol... no cigar... it feels fine above 65... but below it is bad... gonna try realignment...

thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 03:36 PM

There is a reason I'm not a fan of wheels over 20" in size. They're just too big for most vehicles.

Ya' see all these donked out Caprices riding around on 24's? Watch one go over a set of railroad tracks and think again before you go get an oversized set of rims and rubber-band tires just to look good.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by RaineMan
There is a reason I'm not a fan of wheels over 20" in size. They're just too big for most vehicles.

Ya' see all these donked out Caprices riding around on 24's? Watch one go over a set of railroad tracks and think again before you go get an oversized set of rims and rubber-band tires just to look good.
Interesting perspective... so how do you feel about cars with 20's? lol...

Quick Reply: OS wheel vibration driving me mad! help!