Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheated Cooling Fan not kicking on

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM

Angry Overheated Cooling Fan not kicking on

I noticed it a while back that the AC wasn't getting cold when I turned on the HHR. That was about a month ago but didn't think of it. Well yesterday I was driving and noticed that the AC wasn't blowing cold unless I was driving. So Im driving down the freeway and the AC was cold until I hit traffic and had to slow down and it blew warm again. well I was heading to the dealer to get my new ByPass valve installed. Well the AC wasn't blowing cold in traffic and I looked at the temp gauge and it was reading almost to the top and then the light came on so I pulled over. I open the hood and the fan was inop no matter what. Spun freely too. No blown fuse.

Called the tow company and went to the dealership. Well they fixed the bypass valve. I asked them what caused the Fan from not kicking on. She said that the techs drove the car and they couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. She told the techs that I had to have the car towed in so there is a problem with overheating.

If I get it today and it does it, I'll be pissed off and I'll trade the car in. Question is, are there any issues and where is the relay for the fan. I didn't have time to mess with it on side of the freeway yesterday. Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 AM

Hi Jeff - had a similar except gauge just went flat. No AC at all, shut it off and it's been fine ever since. Never overheated and I wonder did yours really get too hot or did you just go by the gauge ?The folks here chimed in and the first culprit is the coolant level / thermostat. Mine hasnt replicated the problem but I need to remember to check the coolant level. Mine's low, I hear a rumbly waterrushing sound through the dash 'waterfall' folks here say coolant level. Check it and then suspect the thermostat. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 AM

Dear camaro98z28,

I have read your post about your situation with your 2008 Chevrolet HHR. I can understand how frustrating this entire situation has been for you. I apologize that the vehicle is at the dealership longer than you feel that it should due to the techs having to figure out what is going on. Please, provide me with any updates from them.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-11-2011, 12:41 PM

So I got it back from them and they checked the coolent level and test drove it 40 miles with and without AC on and it didn't do it. It did overheat on me and wasnt the gauge. I know that the fan didn't work. It got up to 250+ degree and being in AZ in uniform isn't fun to be while on the side of the freeway.

My question is, why would I get a car towed to the dealer because of a serious issue just to be given it back with the answer of "They couldn't duplicate the issue"? Now, Im just one of those people that is waiting to be stuck somewhere because of an issue. it's also sad to be in a car where you wonder if today will be the day you'll get an CEL light or something will fail.

So now that I have that out of the way, I found a nice Mustang GT. I am leaving the GM arena. love my service advisor but think the techs are being half assed in "Kuality". Im the one that fixed my issues with the car before. So why the hell do I need a dealership? As many can see on here, we fix the problem outselves and not the dealer.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Same here

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
So I got it back from them and they checked the coolent level and test drove it 40 miles with and without AC on and it didn't do it. It did overheat on me and wasnt the gauge. I know that the fan didn't work. It got up to 250+ degree and being in AZ in uniform isn't fun to be while on the side of the freeway.

My question is, why would I get a car towed to the dealer because of a serious issue just to be given it back with the answer of "They couldn't duplicate the issue"? Now, Im just one of those people that is waiting to be stuck somewhere because of an issue. it's also sad to be in a car where you wonder if today will be the day you'll get an CEL light or something will fail.

So now that I have that out of the way, I found a nice Mustang GT. I am leaving the GM arena. love my service advisor but think the techs are being half assed in "Kuality". Im the one that fixed my issues with the car before. So why the hell do I need a dealership? As many can see on here, we fix the problem outselves and not the dealer.
Little or no confidence in the GM Tech's at my local store(s). Going back to what works for me. I agree with you, I have a couple of issues that make me think twice about taking the car any distance. Hell I even blew off an annual car show that I attend for fear it might leave me stranded on the way. Ive taken my car in 3 times, filled the tank, gave them as long as they needed - only to get it back with "cant duplicate the problem" even though i can get the car to act up on cue almost. Trading it in next year.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM

I've have mine at the dealer about 20+ times for different reason. Some of which they said it was something that wasn't the issue and I had to fix it myself. Not cool IMO

Originally Posted by HipHotRod
Little or no confidence in the GM Tech's at my local store(s). Going back to what works for me. I agree with you, I have a couple of issues that make me think twice about taking the car any distance. Hell I even blew off an annual car show that I attend for fear it might leave me stranded on the way. Ive taken my car in 3 times, filled the tank, gave them as long as they needed - only to get it back with "cant duplicate the problem" even though i can get the car to act up on cue almost. Trading it in next year.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Deceased

Sorry to hear that the issues with your HHR are forcing you to give it up, but it sounds like things could have(and should have)been handled better. Unfortunately since the engine got that hot, I'd always be concerned about long term damage and just when the head gasket will decide to blow, not if.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Technical Moderator

I routinely, like 2 time a month go on 800 mile round trips. 190K, I do not worry that something will quit working. You MUST check the coolant level frequently!!!!!!!! As it does "dis-appear".
Old 08-12-2011, 08:40 AM

camaro98z28,

I am sorry to read that you have had to take your vehicle into the dealership so many time and yet, you had to make the repairs yourself. Was this just one dealership or did you try other dealerships with the same results?

Would you like to lodge a complaint against the dealership(s) about this?

I hope that you have a great weekend.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM

Michelle, it's been to 3 dealers. The first was at the original dealer for the stage kit and wiring 6 times "SURGING ISSUE" that they couldn't fix. So after 2 dealers with that I fixed it myself. I had it at another closer dealer for the blown engine and they were going to cover it until they tore it down and the service rep decided to deny it but put it back together for free. No figure!! The dealer that I took it to after that covered the rebuild but I kept telling them that I had an overboost issue and they blamed the K&N filter and the MAF sensor and all they did was clear the code and send me on my way. I told them that the car is pinging and overboosting like crazy but it fell on deafs ears.
Finally, I had an CEL light come on for the bypass valve on the Turbo and they decided to reprogram the car and order and new bypass valve. No boost or pinging issues. So driving down the freeway in 110+ temps here in AZ the fan stopped working and overheated. Had to tow it to the dealer and they test drove it and couldn't find the problem so they called me and I got it back. No issues now but I have a feeling when it does go out again, I'll have to fix it myself.. Did I mention that the passanger sun visor broke after 5 times using it. I have to order a new one.. $71 or so.

I found two 2008 Trailblazer SS but I have made up my mind that I'll stay away from GM products. Went to a Ford dealer yesterday and was looking at a new 2011 Mustang 5.0. I'm going to go look at an 2009 SRT 8 Charger today.

I will say that my service rep at the dealer I go to now is awesome but the techs have to be completely customer careless. Like I said, Im just waiting for something else to go wrong.

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
camaro98z28,

I am sorry to read that you have had to take your vehicle into the dealership so many time and yet, you had to make the repairs yourself. Was this just one dealership or did you try other dealerships with the same results?

Would you like to lodge a complaint against the dealership(s) about this?

I hope that you have a great weekend.

Quick Reply: Overheated Cooling Fan not kicking on