Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating Problems (Specially at night)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
As I stated in my other post, coolant doesn't just disappear or evaporate. If you had to add some, it either leaked out or burned it out the tailpipe.

Also as donbrew noted, "good ole prestone" is the wrong coolant. Dexcool is what is GM says should be used in the HHR.
Others on this site have even posted about problems when using the wrong coolant.
again, I dont think you get what I'm saying. I added coolant 3 days ago, and since then it hasnt went low or leaked, the only reason I added coolant was because the last time coolant was added was about 3 months ago. The coolant I JUST added 3 days ago didnt evaporate or disappear, its still there.

With that being said, what would you say the next step for me is?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:45 PM

I agree with Firemangeorge, Anthony. You said you added to it in the summer and again in the fall, and then again 3 days ago. It is escaping somewhere. Not only that, but if it escaping, then there is also the potential that air could be entering the system, which could cause corrosion, and I think DexCool sludges with the introduction of air, doesn't it guys?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Added coolant 3 months ago. Added coolant again 3 days ago. That's twice you've added coolant. So wheres it going ?
My car is 6 years old. Never had to add coolant because I don't have any leaks.
I don't even have to add any to my 18 year old Dodge because it doesn't leak or burn it.
3 days is not long enough to say your's is not leaking

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you hear what I'm saying.

Fwiw. You should flush out that wrong coolant and refill with the correct Dexcool. I would also advise you replace the thermostat with an AC Delco one. I've been on this site a long time and have read numerous posts about folks having issues when using an off-brand thermostats.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by anthonybeatz22
Hello, it goes up to well over 250, and then I shut it down, the second fan does kick in.
Well, I just saw this earlier post.
Sad to say, but if it got that hot you may have some serious engine damage.
A head gasket problem or worse.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:52 PM

Added coolant 3 months ago. Added coolant again 3 days ago. That's twice you've added coolant. So wheres it going ?
My car is 6 years old. Never had to add coolant because I don't have any leaks.
I don't even have to add any to my 18 year old Dodge because it doesn't leak or burn it.
3 days is not long enough to say your's is not leaking

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you hear what I'm saying.

Fwiw. You should flush out that wrong coolant and refill with the correct Dexcool. I would also advise you replace the thermostat with an AC Delco one. I've been on this site a long time and have read numerous posts about folks having issues when using an off-brand thermostats.
Hmm, see I always thought coolant is something you fell up every few months or so, or top off every few months or so, never knew that coolant could go that long....if I knew everything about cars I probably wouldnt asking for your help on here

Okay, so next step is flushing out the coolant and replacing it with Dexcool, is this a job that an intermediate person like myself could do? or should I take it to a mechanic?

Let me give you a little more of what I've done with this car and you can tell me if a flush is something I can handle, I changed the power steer motor, changed the term, and a lot a few other cosmetic things that I changed when I hit a deer back in 2014.

Thanks for all your help, every one here, thank you. I'm gonna update as soon as I figure out whats going on, and hopefully the flush does the job
Old 01-11-2016, 06:53 PM

Well, I just saw this earlier post.
Sad to say, but if it got that hot you may have some serious engine damage.
A head gasket problem or worse.
Oh God, I hope not, I hope to God that my car just in desperate need of the right coolant, I never abused this car, I hope there isnt bad related to the engine
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 PM

If the prestone is mixed with DexCool in there, it may be a different answer to the question of if you can do it yourself. Also, find out where the coolant is escaping, because if air is getting in, that causes more problems. It could ruin the new DexCool you're going to put in.

You say you hit a deer in 2014? Hmmm. I wonder if that caused some damage to the radiator or ???
Old 01-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

quote : "Let me give you a little more of what I've done with this car and you can tell me if a flush is something I can handle, I changed the power steer motor, changed the term, and a lot a few other cosmetic things that I changed when I hit a deer back in 2014."

Sorry. Don't know what a "term" is .
Old 01-11-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
If the prestone is mixed with DexCool in there, it may be a different answer to the question of if you can do it yourself. Also, find out where the coolant is escaping, because if air is getting in, that causes more problems. It could ruin the new DexCool you're going to put in.

You say you hit a deer in 2014? Hmmm. I wonder if that caused some damage to the radiator or ???
I dont believe so, it was August 2014 and when I saw the deer last second I swerved to the left, it impacted the left side of hood, it dented the hood and the fender pretty bad, but the actual grille of the car didnt need to be replaced.

I just saw a few videos on radiator flushes, I think I am going to take it into my mechanic and have them check it out...I was trying to avoid that because money is really tight right now but I dont want to cause any permanent damage.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:52 PM

quote : "Let me give you a little more of what I've done with this car and you can tell me if a flush is something I can handle, I changed the power steer motor, changed the term, and a lot a few other cosmetic things that I changed when I hit a deer back in 2014."

Sorry. Don't know what a "term" is .
Term=Thermostat

Quick Reply: Overheating Problems (Specially at night)