Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Overheating Problems (Specially at night)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM

I truly hope it isn't a head gasket as well! Unfortunately, in my honest opinion it reminds me of our SS. It's true, doing a head gasket is no easy procedure. You wouldn't be left in the dark though, I've given my phone number numerous times to members who'd like some help over the phone. But, if you're doing the work yourself it shouldn't cost more than 500 bucks. Labor will kill a budget in a hurry! I've been through enough heads I could do it with my eyes closed.

If the proper coolant and thermostat don't set you straight I would most certainly suspect you have a blown head gasket. #1 sign is coolant loss without having any signs of leaking or coolant mixing with oil. Your oil isn't "milky" on the end of your dipstick is it? It would be a weird color, milky, possibly with bubbles in it. If there's oil in the coolant it could be a head gasket or cracked block.

Keep us posted and we'll get through it together!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dbeluscak
I truly hope it isn't a head gasket as well! Unfortunately, in my honest opinion it reminds me of our SS. It's true, doing a head gasket is no easy procedure. You wouldn't be left in the dark though, I've given my phone number numerous times to members who'd like some help over the phone. But, if you're doing the work yourself it shouldn't cost more than 500 bucks. Labor will kill a budget in a hurry! I've been through enough heads I could do it with my eyes closed.

If the proper coolant and thermostat don't set you straight I would most certainly suspect you have a blown head gasket. #1 sign is coolant loss without having any signs of leaking or coolant mixing with oil. Your oil isn't "milky" on the end of your dipstick is it? It would be a weird color, milky, possibly with bubbles in it. If there's oil in the coolant it could be a head gasket or cracked block.

Keep us posted and we'll get through it together!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your words. Like I stated, this is a bad time for this to happen, aside from the freezing temps that make it more difficult to inspect whats going on, I am in the process of interviewing with numerous companies, and money is a bit tight.

But like you said, we'll get through it. Gotta stay positive!!
Old 01-12-2016, 05:15 PM

UPDATE:

I've decided to not take the task on for the radiator flush by myself, it probably is an easy job, but it is freezing and I don't have a garage, so I wanted to take it to my mechanic and have him do it.

Well, my mechanic is out of town, and there is another guy that no body likes dealing with, so I explain to him whats been happening A-Z and tell him that I would like to start off with a radiator flush, he says 'okay, yeah we'll take a look at it and see if its more than a radiator flush needed'

NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES after he drives the car to the ramp he comes back and says 'oh there are 2 t-stats in this car, and the other is by the exhaust....oh sorry...wrong information...looks like the guy wrote here that there is a crack in your t-stat pipes and the housing for the t-stat'....not only he completely made up that there are 2 t-stats, it literally took him 5 MINUTES to diagnose why my car is over heating....must be a Guinness world record...I officially wont go back to that shop, just because there is one good guy there looks like the rest are full of bull crap.

I called my local Chevy dealer and scheduled an appointment for Thursday, even though I know they will be way more expensive, but I am sure they will ACTUALLY check whats going on, not just come back in 5 minutes trying to B.S me.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Let us know!
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 PM

Woah, that's pretty serious stuff! I kinda chuckled at the 2 stats comment...seriously, what an @$$. Being positive is the ONLY way to be. No matter what, chin up, head held high. We're always on the verge of being broke. I understand that completely! Somehow things always work out.

As far as the dealer goes, they'll help out for sure but it will definitely cost a small fortune. I'm hoping they will go easy on ya. Not having a garage would make a head gasket nearly impossible this time of year. Especially in your neck of the woods.

A word of advice walking into the dealership (other than have your checkbook handy) Make sure they are aware of your financial situation, and give them specifics what you'd like them to do. You don't want your car being held there because you can't afford the repairs. A diagnosis in my area will run 100-150 and then the labor and repair bills start adding up quickly.

Good luck with the job hunt, keep us posted! And most importantly, CHIN UP! Attitudes are contagious, employers will also notice. I'd like to consider myself a morale booster. I'm always positive, it's my secret to life.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:51 PM

One of the things that came to my mind was the plug on the housing springing a leak.

Mine had a pin hole in it and the leak was not detectable because it was escaping very slowly.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 PM

Hello All,

Sorry for the extreme delay in getting back to you guys. Here is the update:

My brother has a mechanic friend, he does a lot of work out of his garage, I took it to him, and the issue was there was air in the system and my car needed to be 'burped', what he did was open the radiator cap, and sure enough after a few minutes I started seeing a lot of bubbling, he told me thats the air leaving the system, after that it was nothing. It was a $20 fix.

Not sure how air got in the system, but it did, and that was what was causing everything.

Now I got to change the thermostat because I just got the --- on my coolant, which I know from past experiences thats a thermostat problem, thats what I get for putting an after market thermo in.

Its an easy job, but it is sooo hard to reach the thermo housing, I wish I knew of a tool that could do that job easily, because a regular old wrench makes this job take a long time.

Thank you to everyone and this awesome site hosts.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by anthonybeatz22
Hello All,

Sorry for the extreme delay in getting back to you guys. Here is the update:

My brother has a mechanic friend, he does a lot of work out of his garage, I took it to him, and the issue was there was air in the system and my car needed to be 'burped', what he did was open the radiator cap, and sure enough after a few minutes I started seeing a lot of bubbling, he told me thats the air leaving the system, after that it was nothing. It was a $20 fix.

Not sure how air got in the system, but it did, and that was what was causing everything.

Now I got to change the thermostat because I just got the --- on my coolant, which I know from past experiences thats a thermostat problem, thats what I get for putting an after market thermo in.

Its an easy job, but it is sooo hard to reach the thermo housing, I wish I knew of a tool that could do that job easily, because a regular old wrench makes this job take a long time.

Thank you to everyone and this awesome site hosts.
It's called a universal joint on an extension.

Be sure to keep an eye on the coolant and oil levels! The bubble may be a result of a bad head gasket.

Combustion gasses enter the cooling system, pushing coolant out the overflow. combustion gasses expand/contract at a different rate from coolant, so an air bubble is created upon cooling down instead of drawing coolant from the overflow tank.