Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0014 After Changing Oil 2006 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:56 PM

P0014 After Changing Oil 2006 HHR

I have searched the forums here quite extensively and was amazed at the great knowledge here. The error code I am getting seems pretty common and I found tons of info but I still have an issue and was hoping someone could help me figure it out.

I have a 2006 HHR LT 2.4L and changed the oil yesterday. (first time doing it myself) The change was over due and I am not sure by how much since the HHR was my Ex's main vehicle and I ended up with it when we split. Before the change there were no problems or lights (TC or CEL).

About 5 minutes in to the first drive after the oil change the TC light came on and it started shifting hard. I shut the car off and let it sit, restarted and no lights and went on my way. Again a few minutes later the light and hard shifting came back. I continued driving home and the shifting didnt get worse but the CEL came on. I immediately jumped to the internet when I got home and started searching.

Today I had it scanned and it came back with the P0014 code (which is what I was expecting to see after reading these forums) I purchased the exhaust solenoid (was gonna do both but the intake was not instock) and went home and replaced the part. I cleared the CEL and took it for a drive. Again about 5 minutes in the TC light and then the CEL came on. I scanned the error again and got the p0014 again even with the new sensor. I ordered the intake solenoid just in case and it will be here tomorrow but I am not 100% sure that will fix the issue.

What would your next steps be? Do I just do the Intake solenoid tomorrow when I get it? Is there something else that can be causing this? Is there anything that I could have bumped or disturbed when I changed the oil? I did do the air filter at the same time but all connectors underneath look fine and are plugged in snugly.

I am supposed to be out of town on a short road trip late next week and would really like to get this fixed before then.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

P0014 as you know points to the exhaust solenoid, so having replaced it kinda rules the solenoid out (unless the new one is defective).

Couple questions for you:
- did you use a genuine GM part as a replacement or an after market one?
- when you changed the oil, (which is when the problem started) what brand and grade of oil did you use?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29 PM

I used an aftermarket purchased from NAPA. They were the only place near by that had the exhaust solenoid in stock.

I used quaker state advanced durability 5w-30 that was recommended by sales guy at the store.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:34 PM

I should also note that another local retailer tried giving me the sensors but after reading the guide I knew to look for the solenoid so that was very helpful
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by calli4120
I used an aftermarket purchased from NAPA. They were the only place near by that had the exhaust solenoid in stock.

I used quaker state advanced durability 5w-30 that was recommended by sales guy at the store.
LOL - that's the exact same oil I just put in today with my oil and filter change!!

So, it isn't an oil issue. I am kinda suspicious of the aftermarket ones, as that is why I asked. I think someone else here had a problem with an aftermarket one, and went to a GM one to clear the probem (but I am not absolutely positive - I'll try searching for it in a bit). I'll let you know what I find, one way or the other.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Good point about the aftermarket part. The GM dealers around here are closed Sundays so aftermarket was my only option if I wanted to deal with it today.

Do you think there is any point in doing the intake solenoid at this point even though that is a different error code?

One thing I noticed when I had to make a trip the store was that my fuel economy seems to have tanked. I have maybe put 100 miles on since the oil change and the fuel economy seemed normal when I drove it home. After replacing the solenoid it seems to have dropped by 5-6 MPG (granted this was all city driving and a small sample size)

This this can be related in any way?
Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Deceased

Just a thought, due to the lack of regular maintenance on the ex's part, you may be dealing with an engine that's sludged up.

Another oil change after a few hundred miles may be in order to eliminate solenoid clogging sludge deposits that have been worked loose with the fresh oil.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Just a thought, due to the lack of regular maintenance on the ex's part, you may be dealing with an engine that's sludged up.

Another oil change after a few hundred miles may be in order to eliminate solenoid clogging sludge deposits that have been worked loose with the fresh oil.
That's an interesting thought.... Is there anything else you guys would recommend for helping clean up the sludge?

If this is the case should I run the car for a week and change the oil before replacing the solenoid that may just get damaged again?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member

No, I wouldn't swap out the intake Solenoid at this point - ie: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :-).

843de's point about another oil change has merit - I think I read somewhere that the solenoid can get contaminated and cause problems mechanically with the solenoid (rather than an electrical issue with a burnt out solenoid).

I think at this point you are dealing with either a contaminated solenoid, or a defective one. I'm assuming you double-checked to make sure the solenoid's electrical connection is good - ie: the connector is pretty difficult to get apart unless you figure out the secret, and some have ended up with a broken connection.

ps: still browsing for that reference about a non-gm solenoid......... and if you have an OHM meter, the resistance of the solenoid should be between 8-12 ohms (would be interesting to know the resistance of the one you just replaced - will tell you if it was an electrical issue, or mechanical).
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I could not find the reference to a dud after-market solenoid someone purchased.

I'd also suggest throwing an ohm meter on the new solenoid to see if it is in specs (8-12 ohms).

Quick Reply: P0014 After Changing Oil 2006 HHR