Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0106 Code

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 03:56 PM

When the engine dies that quickly, it doesn't have time to set codes. I'd be worried about timing chains, not that I think that's it, just that I think it needs to be eliminated first.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:20 PM

Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's help BUT unfortunately the problem is still there. Spent an hour yesterday trying to get the old sensor out. Went to Harbor Freight this morning and got a set of star screwdrivers, much better than trying to do it with a nut driver and star bit. Much easier to get the right bit when it's 1 piece instead of 2. Needless to say, got the sensor swapped out in 15 minutes and tried to start it up. Same problem as before, ran rough for a few seconds and then died. My next plan will be to have AAA tow it to my house where I can spend more time on it. I'm guessing the next likely candidate is the MAP sensor? as opposed to the MAF sensor which certainly will be a lot more trouble. I'm letting it sit at the mall till tonight and will give it one more try If you think it's possibly a MAP sensor can someone chime in with a part # as I'm wondering if there's more than one.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by greg8453
The PO106 is a MAP sensor code.
could definitely be the MAP sensor
Old 06-29-2023, 04:49 PM

Has any body messed around anywhere near the ECM lately? If it is not the sensor it must be the wires/connectors. All 3 of the wires go directly to the ECM. Maybe that pesky bit of harness that is tight up to the purge valve bracket.
P0106 should not disable the car. Make it run poorly, yes.
Maybe try the King Kong wrench on the fuse box bolts, has anyone been around that?
Circuit testing instructions are in the pdf I posted.
Once again, is the MAF securely plugged in? What has been messed with under the hood before this? Stopping dead sounds more like timing chain, have you looked at it? Have the ignition recalls been done? Have you looked at the battery connections at the battery and the fuse box?

I am thinking something caused the engine to die and the P0106 is just the first module to lose power. I am putting my 2 cents on either the chain or a battery cable.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:26 AM

I will address the MAP sensor next. It will probably be a week or 2 before I can get to it cause this time of year I am REALLY BUSY. I haven't even been under the hood in the last month except to check the oil. I am quite sure the MAF harness was plugged in well since it wouldn't come back off (the connector doesn't make a noticeable audio 'click' when connected). Don't think there are any open recalls. I think we had one years ago regarding the key if I remember correctly. Donbrew, I did try your hammer approach (ha ha) but couldn't get it into the tight spaces around the MAF sensor. Is it difficult to inspect the timing chain? Don't think I want to get too far into the engine as I'm not a mechanic by nature. Thanks for the pdf regarding the code.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:05 PM

Remove the bolts that hold the valve cover, remove valve cover, look at the chain between the sprockets; any slack is bad, there should be a bit of plastic attached to the metal guide above the chain bad if gone.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ritasmobile
,...got the sensor swapped out...
What sensor now?

Don't need to be a mechanic to remove the valve cover. Do it.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:35 PM
Administrator

The MAF sensor.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:25 PM

You could just... check your recall status. Donbrew and I both have links in our signatures. No need to guess.
Old 07-01-2023, 09:45 AM

Checked the recall status. All recalls done; most pertain to the ignition key. Going to order a Bosch MAP sensor from Rockauto today, none of my local auto parts stores have a name brand in stock. Will post the results of timing chain inspection Monday or Tuesday. Thanks again to everyone who has posted suggestions. We'll get her fixed soon.

Quick Reply: P0106 Code