Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

P0304 Engine Code

Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 AM

YES, YES! EXACTLY! I had watched this exact video before blasting. He makes no mention of carb cleaner and that's why I think carb cleaner should be locked away for blasting. In hindsight, I would have only blasted, with no chemicals. I'd use my picks to clean out heavy gunk, and then just blast/vacuum some more, leaving the chemicals locked up.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:18 AM
Administrator

If it’s a fuel additive, and our fuel tanks are plastic? That’s fantastic!
Old 01-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

Cool video. I wonder if you could also rotate the valves 180 degrees and reblast ? Just to reach any crud that is missed.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Cool video. I wonder if you could also rotate the valves 180 degrees and reblast ? Just to reach any crud that is missed.
No you cannot. Heaven knows, I desperately needed to in my engine though. The valves won't turn (unless you tried to force them w/pliers; of course nobody would consider that though), nor is there enough space to do much in the port. My only option was to take a copper coat hanger (copper is softer than steel/aluminum, thus less likely to scratch anything), with a tiny bend in the end. I then used it to pick out pieces hidden in the shadow of the valve stem. There was actually a fair bit in the stem shadow that needed attention (i.e., it was equally gunked behind there).
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM

I even devised a slick setup like shown in this video, with a fabricated plate of MDF wood bolted to the head. It worked great.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
If it’s a fuel additive, and our fuel tanks are plastic? That’s fantastic!
I think our tanks are made from a different type plastic.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by m_ridzon
I even devised a slick setup like shown in this video, with a fabricated plate of MDF wood bolted to the head. It worked great.
Lost you on what you just said.
You used chemical to clean the valves plus walnut blasting, but you fabbed up this dry type system ?
On a side note, wish someone that knew 3D printing could make an adapter port so you could blast and vacuum these engines. I would gladly pay for one.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Lost you on what you just said.
You used chemical to clean the valves plus walnut blasting, but you fabbed up this dry type system ?
I first walnut blasted a cylinder and I used my wooden MDF jig to mount onto the cylinder head mounting face, just like you saw in the YouTube video I shared of another person. The jig allowed me to attach my ShopVac to keep the media from blowing in my face and engine compartment. After that, I removed the MDF jig and did final cleanup using carb cleaner.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by m_ridzon
I first walnut blasted a cylinder and I used my wooden MDF jig to mount onto the cylinder head mounting face, just like you saw in the YouTube video I shared of another person. The jig allowed me to attach my ShopVac to keep the media from blowing in my face and engine compartment. After that, I removed the MDF jig and did final cleanup using carb cleaner.
So you're the guy on YouTube ?
Old 01-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
So you're the guy on YouTube ?
No that is not me. Before starting the project, I was browsing this forum looking for tips and found that person's story here, and hence his video(s) too.

I do however, have pictures of my own MDF jig if folks wanted to see it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0304 Engine Code