Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Paint Issues Spring Edition Only !

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 PM

Spring Edition Paint

I saw my first Spring Edition in person today and one could clearly see a difference in the shade of the paint on the driver's door versus the rest of that side of the vehicle. I am quite sure it was not the lighting or anything.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:38 PM

Heres the deal with the painting process. I worked in a paint shop(Ford) for 10 years as a maint. supervisor. The only way the color gets different is that part of the vehical was damaged on the line being assembled or in transport to it's destination. If repaired by hand and it went so far as the primer underneath being reapplied this will cause the difference. The primer is the key as this is the base for the auto. Ford as well as the other big 3 use different color prime depending on the vehical color. Don't know if this helps but there is a 99% chance that part that is different color was damged and or replaced.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM

I wanted to post a follow up. If there is a problem with say all the right rear passenger cars then here is the most likly senerio.

1)Something or someone in the process caused constaint damage.
2) Missing parts (doors, hoods, liftgate) and the rest of the auto was painted then the part comes in and was hand painted or painted with different operators on overtime.
3) Mexicans were taking a siesta and missed a spot....ha...ha
Old 06-08-2006, 09:00 PM

I am the original author of this thread. In the interest of keeping everyone up to speed, I had my 4th meeting today with the dealer. I spoke to the service director and he in turn with 2 factory reps. One being their standard rep. and the other a factory paint rep. They are aware of the problems and admitted to me that it is a "wide spread" issue with the Spring Editions/Victory Red. Their theory is the robot that was to paint the drivers side of the vehicle was misaligned and the top coat coverage was applied to lite. Hence the different shades. Some sort of decision as to what they are going to do about it, is suppose to come down in the next few days.

I have spent my whole working carreer in the automotive arena (38+ years) I have seen vehicles come in that were damaged in transport. I even saw them drop off the transport as the were being delivered. This type of problem is one of the first things I checked for. No sign of it. Let me emphasize, other than some isolated cases with other colors, this only pertains to the Victory Red color. I have already informed them that "patch painting" the drivers door is not an acceptable solution. So we shall see. Thanks again !
Old 06-08-2006, 10:37 PM

I've examined my Spring Edition VR in different light conditions and cannot see a difference in paint colors at all. I suppose they are not all effected by this problem.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by TxSkyPilot
I've examined my Spring Edition VR in different light conditions and cannot see a difference in paint colors at all. I suppose they are not all effected by this problem.
It's my understanding that although there are many out there like mine, not everyone that came off the line were affected. It sounds like you may be one of the lucky ones. Good luck to you !
Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 PM

I have a Black LS and i've noticed a small spot where you can see primer. The dealer said that the paint gun must of misfired for a second. It has the clear coat on, but very little paint. Will get painted when the running boards and the rear fenders get done.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:39 PM

Ok Guy's we have a bottom line on this ugly and time consuming situation. After numerous meetings and discussions with the so called decision makers here's what they offered me. Re-paint the front driver's door. Which I told them early on that it was an unacceptable solution. Or they will do an assisted buy back. Which means I get to pick out another HHR, but I must pay for the mileage I have put on the current one. Plus pay for the tag and title transfer again. And any difference between the cost of the two vehicles. Which may sound good, but here's the clincher. They will not let me have another Spring Edition/Victory Red one. That tells me two things. One GM is definitely aware that the problem is wide spread and two there is not a good one out there to be had. After personally looking at a bunch of them myself I would have to concur. So GM has managed to back me in the corner with two decisions, neither of which is acceptable. Any thoughts ?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by ALLR RED
Any thoughts ?
Dark Silver Metallic ROCKS!
Old 06-24-2006, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Dark Silver Metallic ROCKS!
I think my user name says it all. I only buy Red. But it's really more than that. GM put together what I think is an attractive optioned vehicle, and it is the reason I purchased it. Why should I have to give up the unique wheels. pinstriping and interior, just to mention a few. I don't think it's unreasonable to puchase a new vehicle and expect it to be one color.

Quick Reply: Paint Issues Spring Edition Only !