Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 PM

Exclamation Power steering failure

Hi, Im new to this forum. This is my first post to the forum. I purchased an 07 HHR LS in feb of 2014, used of course. And found the recall for the ignition switch had that done. And after it was done, maybe about a month later, I was on the freeway in an interchange and someone cut me off I had to brake and the cars back end fishtailed slightly, well skidded was more like it. The car shut off, key and all. the key was in the off position.

I went back to the dealer and they wanted to charge me for "Diagnostic" ummm no, im broke and barely keeping up with car payments and its what they just did. Apparently no warranty on recalled parts. OK, that was the only time it shut off thankfully.

On to the next, power steering issues, the steering would freeze and not move but it was intermittent. No rhyme or reason as to why it would, it just would, and usually at the wrong time. I did some research and found many people with the same issue although not on my year, but mine was different I never got the warning on the instrument panel. I took it to the dealer and was told they need to charge me $120 for diagnostic. Still broke and spider in wallet is laughing. I had to save up for it. OK. I got someone else to give their opinion for free. They told me it was the steering motor. From my research and what its been doing I would agree.

But before I could do anything about it, the steering locked and I couldnt turn to avoid t-boning a tank errr cadillac. Say goodbye to the HHR. The airbags didnt deploy either and most of the people who saw it said the airbags should have. $7000 worth of damage yes I think so too. the car was still driveable after the accident but insurance totaled the car and took it.

After they took it like the next day i got the extended recall notice. PERFECT!!! They can finally fix it, oops they took it. Dang it! What do I do? i mean who can i call to see what can be done? Please Advise.

Last edited by whopper; 05-21-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: edited single paragraph into several, to ease reading for us old folks. ;)
Old 05-21-2015, 05:40 PM

Welcome!

Get all of your documentation together and consult a lawyer.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

x2 - I gather the latest incident happened some time ago? as the warranty extention info on the power steering motor came out a while back.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM

X3- You are lucky that you didn't get hurt- People have died! Sounds like you have a bad dealership also. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, lawyer up! They done you wrong!! The dealer that is ! And they represent GM! They knew about these issues, my 07 had the steering motor changed back in 2012
Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
x2 - I gather the latest incident happened some time ago? as the warranty extention info on the power steering motor came out a while back.
Yes, In January if i remember correctly. The past few months have been a blur.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, lawyer up! They done you wrong!! The dealer that is ! And they represent GM! They knew about these issues, my 07 had the steering motor changed back in 2012
I think they were that way to me cause I didnt get the car from them. Oh well, but Ive been in retail too, you treat every customer the same. Even if they are passin on thru. I should be a secret shopper for these places. Most would fail big time! Anytime I have had a secret shopper come in, I have passed with flying colors.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Ijazzu
X3- You are lucky that you didn't get hurt- People have died! Sounds like you have a bad dealership also. Good luck.
Yes I know. The accident was my fault, but thats besides the point. And the point being that the steering failed. Even tho this has happened, I still love the HHR!
Old 05-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Welcome!

Get all of your documentation together and consult a lawyer.
Not much documentation I have. Except for the estimate from my insurance.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Deceased

As the semi-retired Attorney in the room, it would be in your best interests to seek legal counsel on the matter at least in regards to retroactively recovering damages.

Shop around for legal advice, avoid the firms with the flashy TV ads, instead seek out a local Attorney with a good reputation.

The initial consult is usually on the house, after that you can choose to hire the Attorney on a "Flat Fee" or "Percentage of Damages Recovered" basis.

You may even find legal counsel willing to take your case on a "Pro Bono" basis where your out of pocket expenses would be nil.

Pro Bono is actually a shortened version of the Latin phrase Pro Bono Publico, which is work undertaken voluntarily for the public good.

Attorneys in the United States are recommended under American Bar Association (ABA) ethical rules to contribute at least fifty hours of Pro Bono service per year(s).

Some state bar associations actually require 100 hours per annum.

Because my Law Licences are only valid in NC, TX, NY, and PA. I cannot provide any other advice than presented above in keeping with ABA practices.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop please.

Quick Reply: Power steering failure