Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

prndl bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Deceased

Farm livin' is the life for me!

I'm guilty too of not paying any attention to whether the shifter is illuminated or not, but luckily the parking garage here is like a coal mine, so I'm going take a look in about two hours.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Founding Member

Surely someones got an old shifter that quit on them laying around. All everyone needs to know is if the bulb is servicable.

Or the OP could just pull their shifter and see. Not much to it.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Just looked at my old shifter 2006 and it definitely has a bulb for the indicator.
Short of taking the whole unit apart I can't tell you the type of bulb. When I do have it apart I will post a pic.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM

There is a light! You must remove the shifter assembly to get to it. It takes a half twist to get the holder out, then the bulb pulls out. It is a tiny bulb as good as my eyes can make out it has TSO marked on it. it is like a Christmas light bulb, 2 wires bent for contact.

Getting the wiring harness disconnected is a bear! And you have to in order to get the shifter assembly out.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Thanks donbrew save me having to pull it apart.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Just replaced my shifter today and donbrew is correct. Half turn and the bulb comes loose. And yes getting to the electrical connector is tough. Even tougher to get it plugged back in. I used a metal pick like a dentist tool to reach in and pull up the tab to disconnect and used the same tool to hook the lower connector to realign and snap back into place.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by VinceP
Just replaced my shifter today and donbrew is correct. Half turn and the bulb comes loose. And yes getting to the electrical connector is tough. Even tougher to get it plugged back in. I used a metal pick like a dentist tool to reach in and pull up the tab to disconnect and used the same tool to hook the lower connector to realign and snap back into place.
Cool beans ! Any pics ?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM

Info. given is correct. I had my shifter out Saturday. The complete wire harness is at the left rear part of the shifter. Mine had two black wires from the connector to the bulb socket. As said the connector is a pain to undo and re-connect, but it needs to be done to get the shifter out. Four nuts holding the shifter in are fairly easy to get off, but reassembly is tough as the bolts coming up from the floor are not held in place and tend to turn with the nuts instead of tightening. I pulled up the bolts, and held them in place with small rubber bands hooking two bolts together on each side. Make sure the bands are as far down on the bolts as you can get them. The rubber grips the bolts and helps to keep them from turning and holds them up for the nuts to make contact. Lot of work for a bulb replacement, but do-able.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by old guy
Info. given is correct. I had my shifter out Saturday. The complete wire harness is at the left rear part of the shifter. Mine had two black wires from the connector to the bulb socket. As said the connector is a pain to undo and re-connect, but it needs to be done to get the shifter out. Four nuts holding the shifter in are fairly easy to get off, but reassembly is tough as the bolts coming up from the floor are not held in place and tend to turn with the nuts instead of tightening. I pulled up the bolts, and held them in place with small rubber bands hooking two bolts together on each side. Make sure the bands are as far down on the bolts as you can get them. The rubber grips the bolts and helps to keep them from turning and holds them up for the nuts to make contact. Lot of work for a bulb replacement, but do-able.
Great write up THANKs
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Administrator

and you light up my shifter!!!

Quick Reply: prndl bulb replacement