Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problem after replacing front hub

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:33 PM

Problem after replacing front hub

Replaced the lca on both sides and the wheel hub on the left, and got an alignment. Well, at first, the abs and tc lights came on. So I pulled the -battery cable and tapped it a few times. Put it back on, all looked good. Then the 2 lights came on again, then the abs went out. The the engine light and tc light came on. The tranny also shifts hard when the tc light is on. I have not tried to retap the battery cable, but it seems that if it came back on, it will again.

Everything is torqued to specs, and abs wires are plugged in tight. Anyone run into this? And why would an abs sensor cause the tc to freak out and make the tranny shift hard?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

If you are trying to clear the error codes by disconnecting the battery cable, the idea is NOT to "tap the battery" cable a few times. The idea is to disconnect it for 10 - 15 minutes, THEN reattach it.

You say the engine check light is on - well, you need to download the code(s) to determine what the problem is. And the code reader needs to be one that will read ABS codes etc., not a basic unit.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:56 PM
Technical Moderator

What do you tap the battery? If somebody told you to cause sparks by tapping the cable on the battery post, politely tell them to stop trying to kill you. Just disconnecting the NEGATIVE cable for a few minutes is all it takes.

Get the codes read at your local auto parts store and come back here with the code numbers, don't bother with what the guy tells you about "the sensor is bad".

I am suspecting one of the VVT valves is bad.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 PM

Seems strange a vvt would suddenly go bad after replacing a wheel hub. Especially since the engine runs fine for all intents.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

You will NEVER know what is causing the problem until you get the codes read.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
What do you tap the battery? If somebody told you to cause sparks by tapping the cable on the battery post, politely tell them to stop trying to kill you. Just disconnecting the NEGATIVE cable for a few minutes is all it takes.

Get the codes read at your local auto parts store and come back here with the code numbers, don't bother with what the guy tells you about "the sensor is bad".

I am suspecting one of the VVT valves is bad.
I'm curious DonBrew, what makes you suspect a VVT Valve? I know you have a reason or story so ....
Old 11-01-2018, 08:05 AM
Technical Moderator

TC and hard shift. Especially if you shorted the battery.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Well, disconnected the -cable this morning and left it probably around 20+ minutes. All lights out for now and shifting felt normal for a chilly morning, 26F. Fifteen mile drive in and no lights, though the comp is still probably working everything out. If anything pops on again, I'll stop at an autozone or some place with a code reader and get whatever codes there.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Ok, we’ll wait.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
TC and hard shift. Especially if you shorted the battery.
I get it now, you suspected electrical damage to the solenoids. But how does VVT issues correlate to a hard shift and TC problems?

Quick Reply: Problem after replacing front hub