Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Problem w/seat belt latch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Problem w/seat belt latch?

Hi all,

I've noticed recently something odd that I've never seen or heard of: the driver seat belt in my HHR is getting harder and harder to "undo". The red latch that you press down to release the buckle moves OK, but I find that I have to press hard at the bottom to get it to release the belt. It's now a the state where is takes me 2-3 attempts to free myself up every time.

Aside from being annoying, I find it mildly unsafe in case I have to get out of the car quickly (accident or fire) or if somebody else has to get me out.

Questions:
1) I am the only one with that problem?
2) Are these things adjustable/fixable or I am looking at a complete replacement?
3) Since this is obviously a safety issue, any chance that this is covered by a longer warranty? (My bumper-to-bumper expired, but I'm still within the powertrain warranty coverage).

Yves
Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
Questions:
1) I am the only one with that problem? First I've heard of it on an HHR
2) Are these things adjustable/fixable or I am looking at a complete replacement? Not adjustable must replace entire buckle side (female)
3) Since this is obviously a safety issue, any chance that this is covered by a longer warranty? (My bumper-to-bumper expired, but I'm still within the powertrain warranty coverage). No coverage after 3/36.

Yves
Any chance something (french fry, coin, etc) fell into it?
Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Any chance something (french fry, coin, etc) fell into it?
Not likely; I never eat in the car, but maybe a small piece of paper or a pine needle found its way down there. I'll probe it tonight and see if there something in there.

Thanks for the info!

Yves
Old 04-20-2010, 05:09 PM

I had the same problem....dealer replaced the belt latch assembly under warranty..