Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

radio has gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:41 AM

radio has gone crazy

I picked up my car after having the carpet replaced and they told me the radio wasn't working and they had to order me a new one. I was surprised because the radio had always worked fine.

When the radio is turned on and you turn the volume control the radio turnes on and off. When left on the volume was very low and none of the other controls would work.

This morning when I went out the radio seems to be working fine.

I was wondering if when they removed the console if there was a ground wire in that area that they may not have gotten tight?? It seems odd for the radio to go like it did. I think the only thing that had to come out for the carpet replacement would be the console.

I guess I'll go next week and replace the radio even if it is working fine now.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Depends on how much they had to remove to install the carpet. The body computer and fuse panel is at the front of the console so there is lots of wiring in the area.They might have disconnected the battery or run it down with the doors open to replace the carpet and it fouled up the memory or security system and it took some starts to reset.

There might be another thread about a radio not working after some work was done on the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:06 AM

WOW, I had to have my carpet replaced right after I got the car (I think the mexican worked had a debate... drop his burrito or drip hot glue and burn my carpet... you can figure out which he did). Anyway, I'm glad I didn't have any issue. I would take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. They obviously screwed something up.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Almost sounds like the dealer fried your radio when they did the carpet..... Don't these guys disconnect the battery anymore when working near electrical?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:54 PM

The radio has been working fine for the past 2 days. If it doesn't bother again I'm not going to let them change it.

I would think they would be replacing it with a reconditioned radio and I would end up with someone else's intermittent problem. And who knows what else may not work when they get done.