Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ran low on oil..PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:04 PM

Ran low on oil..PLEASE HELP!

hello all,
i have a 2010 hhr. recently i checked my oil and noticed that ive developed a leak around the filter housing.. the oil starts to seep out of where the o ring and the housing meet. i don't have the tools to try to tighten it/loosen it. however, my local mechanic is right down the street. not even a 1/4 mile from my house.
i'm taking it to him in the morning. had to add about 3 quarts of oil. hoping i didn't damage my precious hhr. she has approx 70,000 miles on her and i still owe 3 more years. anyone have any thoughts on this? i think jiffy lube overtightened the cap, but i can't prove it. thanks all!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM

You'd know if you had any engine damage due to low oil. If you didn't hear any engine noise that was out of the ordinary, correct the problem that's causing the leak, fill the oil to the proper level and move on.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

change the oil ring on the oil filter cap and the filter and oil while you're at it, your mech should be abl to remedy this for you
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM

that is what im going to do. have the mechanic change the oil and install new filter. i can't remember if jiffy lube or walmart did the last oil change, but guess what.. NEVER AGAIN. local mechanic only! :) thanks ya'll. she was really low on oil. oil light never came on though. nor did the engine start to overheat thank god
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Administrator

whew, that was close, now count your lucky stars and never let those places touch your cars!!!! DYI or a trusted Mech only, a co-worker took her HHRto a fast lube joint they never chaged the filter, and charged her for Mobil One, shee said she could see them use a hose to put the oil in, and the other car nxt to her the Mobile Onewas poured in from individual quarts, hhhmmmm, thats her story, she did not see the flter come outor a new one installed, the shop claimed to use Fram, filters, I removed the filter cap and the filter is AC Delco, hhhmmm, now she comes to my place to change her own oil and filter ! and was she suprised to find there and no zerks to grease, but she was charged $8.99 for lube,???
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

For peace of mind, I would suggest a new filter cap and o-ring.
No telling about the cheap lube joints. They could have overtightened the plastic cap and messed up the threads.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
For peace of mind, I would suggest a new filter cap and o-ring.
No telling about the cheap lube joints. They could have overtightened the plastic cap and messed up the threads.
X2
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM

yeah NEVER LETTING THEM TOUCH MY CAR AGAIN! i used them for years on my other vehicles and NEVER once had a problem. but back in those days there weren't cartridge filters, etc. vehicles now are more complex than in the old days. but yeah, not going to a quick lube place anymore! lesson learned, at least i was lucky and didn't have a blown engine!

Originally Posted by Oldblue
whew, that was close, now count your lucky stars and never let those places touch your cars!!!! DYI or a trusted Mech only, a co-worker took her HHRto a fast lube joint they never chaged the filter, and charged her for Mobil One, shee said she could see them use a hose to put the oil in, and the other car nxt to her the Mobile Onewas poured in from individual quarts, hhhmmmm, thats her story, she did not see the flter come outor a new one installed, the shop claimed to use Fram, filters, I removed the filter cap and the filter is AC Delco, hhhmmm, now she comes to my place to change her own oil and filter ! and was she suprised to find there and no zerks to grease, but she was charged $8.99 for lube,???
Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Meh at my lube shop im leaving come next monday. They dont hardly ever replace the oring. Ive warned em. Go back to that shop and raise hell. Js. Weve bought and installed new motors before. Only when the motor died but js. Always before you leave ANY lube shop pop ur hood, check ur oil level and if u can, check the filter.
Run the motor a few seconds and if its gonna leak, youd see it.
My two cents.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Keep Jiffy Lube away from it in the future. Their training program pretty much consists of, if you can identify an object at 20 feet as a car, and it really is a car, your in!