Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rattle in steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Do you feel the rattle in the steering wheel ?
Old 04-24-2020, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
About the Brakes ..... Are you keeping the Rear brakes manually adjusted ??
It is Very Important.
When they are properly adjusted you should get 3-4 clicks on the emergency brake handle when it is set.
If it is more then that you need to adjust the E. brake cable until you get it to 3-4 clicks.

With that Mileage and the probability you have had them surfaced more then once, I would definitely consider New Rotors and Front Pads.
Personally I like the Stock GM OEM Pads #19157892 Rock Auto and Raybestos Premium Rotors.

Silverfox
Thank you Mr Fox. My E brake cable snapped last year. I installled a new one. Not fun. I get 5 clicks when I pull up the handle. I normally buy the cheapest rotors and pads. That's not a good idea cause my rotors go bad in under 10,000 miles. Next I'll be going with extra heavy slotted drilled rotors with carbon fiber pads. If they don't work nothing will.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Administrator

The front brake problem is more likely the lca bushings are shot!
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...ol-arms-44378/

And the upper motor mount .

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...problem-60373/

drilled and slotted rotors look cool but won’t fix the issue, swap over to larger diameter SS non Brembo rotors

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/

best update ever! And adjust those rear drums , every oil change
Old 04-24-2020, 10:08 AM

The reason your rotors "warp" is the rear brakes are not doing their work (in the physics sense).
More often than not what people perceive as rotor warp is actually LCA bushings.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The reason your rotors "warp" is the rear brakes are not doing their work (in the physics sense).
More often than not what people perceive as rotor warp is actually LCA bushings.
I replaced both LCAs with new a few months ago. I do need to replace the rear brakes. They are getting low. . So I'll replace the years first see if that does anything for the rotor warp feeling problem. But that still leaves me with the steering rattle which I hope the intermediate steering shaft replacement will fix. Thank you sir!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:24 AM

Lots of good info coming in. Thanks guys! SS Rotors. Check. I don't care about the looks as much as I do drivability and performance. Upper motor mount check! I'll get new rear brakes...should I replace the drums or just the shoes?
Old 04-24-2020, 10:34 AM
Administrator

At that age get this kit from RockAuto
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...oe+kit,1001602
this way you have everything brand new

we do have a discount from our friends at RockAuto

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/supp...-2020-a-61707/

the upper engine mount is easy to check, look through the oblong hole in the passenger side front wheel well , see the bolt head in there, it for the serpentine belt tensioner, if you see that in the centre of the hole the mount if ok, if it’s down low in the hole , and you could not put a socket on an extension to that bolt , the compound in the mount has deteriorated enough that it done, replace that mount
Old 04-24-2020, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Do you feel the rattle in the steering wheel ?
Do I "FEEL" the rattling in the steering wheel?
Yes and no. I hear it coming from somewhere under the dash in the area of the column. My wheel doesn't shake back and forth. But a slight vibration resonates in the steering wheel. Slight but noticeable
EDIT! OK. I took it out for a ride. I love being retired. LOL. The wheel DOES shake back and forth when braking at 35 and up
It doesn't matter if I'm straight or on a curve. The wheel still pulses. The only oddity is when I brake straight I get the wheel pulse and rattle noise from column area. When I brake on a curve I get only wheel pulse only. No rattle noise.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Administrator

These lca rear bushings weren’t very old, GM parts . I replaced them with a Moog problem solver bushings

One more time for Donbrew
Old 04-24-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Flyge Francis Mark
Do I "FEEL" the rattling in the steering wheel?
Yes and no. I hear it coming from somewhere under the dash in the area of the column. My wheel doesn't shake back and forth. But a slight vibration resonates in the steering wheel. Slight but noticeable
EDIT! OK. I took it out for a ride. I love being retired. LOL. The wheel DOES shake back and forth when braking at 35 and up
It doesn't matter if I'm straight or on a curve. The wheel still pulses. The only oddity is when I brake straight I get the wheel pulse and rattle noise from column area. When I brake on a curve I get only wheel pulse only. No rattle noise.

I am having the exact same issue. New LCA's, new tires, brakes are good. I am going to look into replacing the steering shaft.

Quick Reply: Rattle in steering column