Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear shocks/springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM

Rear shocks/springs

Need some help! The rear of my HHR floats up and down easily and feels like it's going to slide out from under me at times. I recently replaced the shocks that were both blown out but that didn't really stiffen things up any. My tires and brakes are good. Should I replace the springs? and what type/ kind would make the ride better? Does this job require spring compressors or can they be installed another way? Thanks!

Matt
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

whaat did you replace them with? are the shocks oem or aftermarket?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Replacing the rear springs is a pretty easy job (and no, you do not need a spring compressor) - check out this thread on how to replace them (with pics) - https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/spring-install-dial-up-enter-your-own-risk-986/

However, from what you are describing, it sounds to me like the new shocks are not doing the full job they are supposed to do. The function of the shock absorber is to dampen the action of the suspension (including the spring) - ie: it slows down or "dampens" the up and down oscillations and gets rid of that floaty, non-planted feeling.

So, if one replaces the stock springs with stiffer ones, one also has to upgrade the shock absorbers (or struts) with ones with higher dampening rates, if they want to take full advantage of the stiffer springs. If the shocks are not upgraded, the ride can get very bouncy and twitchy.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

And what about the front struts? If the rear shocks were blown, the front struts are probably in need of replacement also.
A weak front suspension can transfer some of the bad handling characteristics to the rear of the vehicle.

You also may want to take a close look at the rear springs. I recall a thread about someone having some rear broken coil springs. Rare thing to happen, but it is possible.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:09 PM

If you are new to driving an HHR, you probably need to get used to the "bouncy" type of rear suspension. The unified trailing arm is characterized by a bounce. It is not a race car!

However, replacing the rear springs is easy. Basically remove both shocks then apply muscle.

There are alternate springs available. RockAuto used to sell "progressive" rear springs for around $50.