Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rear wiper switch kills the car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 PM

Rear wiper switch kills the car!

I purchased an HHR for my mom recently and the car has been great. Unfortunately after some maintenance I had a dead battery and crossed the jumper cables when connecting it with a spare battery I had. Key was off I did not attempt to crank the ignition, and it was only touched to the terminals for a split second "the time it took to arc plus my reaction time to pull it away". I took it to the dealer as it now has no front parking lights, front wipers, or cruise control, and the rear wiper switch causes one of three things to occur. 1) switch to the left the vehicle will stall and die and will not start. 2) switch in center position the car runs and drives completely fine. 3) switch to the right and the vehicle has trouble starting and won't idle without constantly pressing the accelerator. If I turn the climate control fan speed all the way up the rear wiper comes on by itself. My concern is the dealership wants to replace the underhood junction box with no guarantees it will resolve the issue. I don't believe a failure in the junction box could result in anything other then a non operation. I thought it to be a bcm which only the dealer can program which is why I took it there initially. Thoughts, suggestions? TIA
Old 04-05-2017, 11:52 PM
Platinum Member

I'd tend to agree on the BCM issue - the dealer should be able to put their Tech II on it for a better diagnosis. do you know if they have done that?

What kind of price are they quoting on the junction box?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
I'd tend to agree on the BCM issue - the dealer should be able to put their Tech II on it for a better diagnosis. do you know if they have done that?

What kind of price are they quoting on the junction box?
$400
plus diagnostic tax and installation $770.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:18 AM

Hi Neil, to the forums!!

I would have the battery checked before I shelled out $770 for a maybe fix. It may have a dead cell, or just be somewhat discharged. These HHRs need all of the juice they can get. You said the battery was dead, you said you jumpstarted it. But you didn't say you charged it.

If it turns out that the battery is the cause of your wiper switch problems, you may just need some new fuses for the systems that aren't working. Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hi Neil, to the forums!!

I would have the battery checked before I shelled out $770 for a maybe fix. It may have a dead cell, or just be somewhat discharged. These HHRs need all of the juice they can get. You said the battery was dead, you said you jumpstarted it. But you didn't say you charged it.

If it turns out that the battery is the cause of your wiper switch problems, you may just need some new fuses for the systems that aren't working. Let us know what you find out.
I confirmed 12.56 volts after running the car a while, and over 14 with the car running. I also ran an ac ripple test to confirm the diodes in the alternator weren't damaged. All fuses test good, "with a fluke dmm no test lights in my garage", no check engine light, and no codes stored. I'll let you guys know.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Check your ground wires!
Welcome to the site!
Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Technical Moderator

I would go with BCM. All of those malfunctions are controlled by the BCM.

Did you check the maxi fuse next to the ground lug in the battery compartment? That powers the BCM.

It is easy enough to inspect the underhood junction box, there is no need to throw parts around to test it. It is only a junction box, if the junctions are burned it is bad.

Replacing the BCM including programming will cost $325 parts + 1.2 hours labor, according to Mitchell. You can get the part for around $190 online, programming is gonna cost though.

The under hood box is easy enough to replace DIY, if you can tackle unplug/plug stuff. About $240 online. 4 bolts and a few tabs.

Name:  fusebox.PNG
Views: 1308
Size:  40.6 KB

Last edited by donbrew; 04-06-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Hi Neil, to the forums!!

The dealership was correct, I had them replace the junction box as I was fairly certain it wouldn't resolve the issue I wanted to return it at no charge. However it resolved all the issues and the car is running great again. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Great news, it's fixed! Enjoy the ride!!
Old 04-14-2017, 12:25 PM

Awesome!!

Quick Reply: Rear wiper switch kills the car!