Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Recall didn't fix ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:28 AM

A qucik update: I6 is still doing it, although it didn't seem to do it as much today. I didn't drive very far today, but I will be driving farther tomorrow. I'll let you know how it does
Old 09-09-2014, 02:54 AM

firemangeorge and donbrew: Thanks for the info.
Here are the numbers of the recalls that they did (or supposedly did) from my invoice:

08016: install head impact protection (separate recall, I believe only for '06's).

These two are for the ignition recall:
14063: replace ignition and start switch and cut 2 keys
14113: replace ignition lock cylinder
Are these the numbers that it should say?

I was very surprised that they got it done so quickly (especially since they also did another recall at the same time for head impact), but I just thought they were probably working quickly because of the rental. Now, I'm wondering what they actually did.

This is what happened:
I called them on Wednesday afternoon (9/3) and explained what was happening. The service adviser asked for my vin number and then told me that it was eligible for the recall, and he did tell me that they needed to order the parts. He also told me that I would qualify for a rental and told me to bring the car in, which I did (at about 3:45 pm). The adviser told me that my car would probably be ready the next day, and it was. So, I returned the rental and picked up my car at about the same time the very next day.

If they couldn't have gotten the parts that fast, then I'm wondering what parts they put in it. Is there anything I can do to find out? The service adviser did finally return my call today (Monday). I had called him last Thursday (the day that I picked my car up), and I left a voicemail message saying it was doing the same thing. He left a voicemail message today (Monday), and he said that if it is still stalling, they would be willing to look at it again, but now I don't know what to think or what to do.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Platinum Member

Just take it back and let them work on it, and hopefully they will resolve it.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:57 AM

Talked to the adviser yesterday. He said they will check their work. I will take it in tomorrow (I have to go in for jury duty today).
Old 09-12-2014, 05:51 AM

Update: I went back to the dealer Yesterday. They said that they checked the wiring, and didn't see anything wrong. I had wanted them to also check to make sure that the right parts were put in, but they didn't. The service adviser said maybe it's the battery, but I pointed out that the stereo, headlights, dash lights, and my UtraGauge that plugs into the obd port all stay on and uninterrupted. He then had nothing else to say.

It has shut off and on quite a bit the last few days. It usually completely stalls 2 or 3 times a day, but it stalled at least 5 or six times on Tuesday.

Does anybody have any other ideas on what it could be, or what I could do?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:09 AM

Stalling is not always a matter of the ignition. A partial list:
transmission lock up clutch
injector/s
plugs
valves
A/C compressor
fuel pump
Old 09-13-2014, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Stalling is not always a matter of the ignition. A partial list:
transmission lock up clutch
injector/s
plugs
valves
A/C compressor
fuel pump
DonBrew:
Thanks for the info. If the car was simply stalling, those would all be good suggestions, and the ignition would probably be near the bottom of my list of possible causes. But it isn't simply stalling.

When I hit a bump, the car appears to turn off for a split second (rpms and speedometer drop, and the door locks unlock). The car usually recovers without stalling. It probably does this 50 or more times a day, sometimes in rapid succession (if the road is bumpy), but it almost always recovers without stalling. About 2 to 3 times a day, I will hit a bump that triggers the same thing, but it doesn't recover, and instead it stalls. It always seems to be triggered by a bump.

What made me initially think of the ignition is the fact that it is turning off and it is triggered by a bump (which is also what triggers the recalled switches to turn off). The difference would seem to be that while it does occasionally cause my car to stall, my car usually manages to recover without stalling (I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that the recalled switches ALWAYS cause the car to completely stall).

The fact that it is triggered by a bump, would seem to indicate that something must be loose, and I received some good suggestions to look at earlier in the thread. One was to make sure that the two halves of my fuse box were tight. They seemed to be a little loose, and I was hoping that might have solved it, but unfortunately, it didn't. The dealer said that they looked at my wiring and they couldn't find anything either.

I'm still looking for suggestions (and I want to thank everyone for their help so far).
Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

The reason for the recall on the ignition switches was because they would actually turn the car off. The keys would physically turn the key cylinder back to the ACC position. This was determined to be the fault of the ignition switch having a weak or poorly made tension spring. It was not a recall because of an intermittent short or temporary cutting of power.

Your issue appears to be different from the symptoms of those "bad" recalled ignition switches. Your's appears to have a short or disruption in the electrical system. Where ? Hard to say. Just one of those things that will have to be traced down.

Me. I would look at it with the car idling and shake, pull, tap, knock, disturb and so forth, any wiring I could get my hands on.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 09-16-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
The reason for the recall on the ignition switches was because they would actually turn the car off. The keys would physically turn the key cylinder back to the ACC position. This was determined to be the fault of the ignition switch having a weak or poorly made tension spring. It was not a recall because of an intermittent short or temporary cutting of power.

Your issue appears to be different from the symptoms of those "bad" recalled ignition switches. Your's appears to have a short or disruption in the electrical system. Where ? Hard to say. Just one of those things that will have to be traced down.

Me. I would be look at it with the car idling and shake, pull, tap, knock, disturb and so forth, any wiring I could get my hands on.

Good idea George. I was trying to rack my brain for something to suggest.. Guess I am out of ideas.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:07 PM

There is a tsb for the 2006 07 and 08s for a stalling condition. It shows a potential wiring problem. Here is a thread that has the tsb in it.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...freeway-49957/
Couldn't hurt to look.

Quick Reply: Recall didn't fix ignition problem?