Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Recall didn't fix ignition problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Your dealer should have mentioned this (GM has a letter to the dealers in regard to it).

Unplug your Ultra Gauge from the OBD, clear codes, and drive for a couple days and see if the problem returns. GM found that SOME electronics, plugged into the OBD port and driven normally with the item attached will do "strange things" to SOME of GM vehicles. Each electronic device has it's own symptoms with each and different, GM vehicle.

This was first discovered with some of the insurance company tattle tails. Those devices that were plugged into your OBD and supposedly would allow lower insurance rates (after downloading your driving habits). The problem gradually migrated to SOME (again) other devices.

Don't know if this will work for you, but it's worth a try. Hope it works.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Ground wire above driver side headlight on radiator support.
Connector to PCM locked down?

After that, I'm out.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:53 PM

I finally got around to moving this thread, really has nothing to do with the recall.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
There is a tsb for the 2006 07 and 08s for a stalling condition. It shows a potential wiring problem. Here is a thread that has the tsb in it.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...freeway-49957/
Couldn't hurt to look.
Thanks, Lucky. I'll check it out just in case.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Banned

Candyman, did you try what Snoopy said?
Old 09-14-2014, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Your dealer should have mentioned this (GM has a letter to the dealers in regard to it).

Unplug your Ultra Gauge from the OBD, clear codes, and drive for a couple days and see if the problem returns. GM found that SOME electronics, plugged into the OBD port and driven normally with the item attached will do "strange things" to SOME of GM vehicles. Each electronic device has it's own symptoms with each and different, GM vehicle.

This was first discovered with some of the insurance company tattle tails. Those devices that were plugged into your OBD and supposedly would allow lower insurance rates (after downloading your driving habits). The problem gradually migrated to SOME (again) other devices.

Don't know if this will work for you, but it's worth a try. Hope it works.
Thanks Snoopy. I removed the UltraGuage when I took it to the dealer for the recall (mainly because I didn't want it stolen or "lost"). When I picked up the car, it continued to do the same thing even though the UltraGauge was still at home. I put about 100 miles on the car before I reinstalled the UltraGauge. Should I have maybe left it out for a longer period?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Candyman, did you try what Snoopy said?
LawDog88: I did already Drive it without the UltraGauge (see my reply to Snoopy above). I am open to going for a longer period if there's a chance that would help.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Ground wire above driver side headlight on radiator support.
Connector to PCM locked down?

After that, I'm out.
Thanks, donbrew. I'll check that out as soon as I can.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by candyman93551
LawDog88: I did already Drive it without the UltraGauge (see my reply to Snoopy above). I am open to going for a longer period if there's a chance that would help.
Did you clear the codes like he suggested, and drive it without? OR did you simply drive it without?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Did you clear the codes like he suggested, and drive it without? OR did you simply drive it without?
There are no codes to clear, and there have not been any codes. When it is connected, it will warn me if there are any codes and will even let me know if there are any pending codes, but, there are no codes generated when this happens. I have even checked both pending and set codes and there are none. This is what I would expect though, because the cel only comes on when the engine shuts off (which it's supposed to do), and the cel goes off as soon as the engine comes back on. I wish there were codes because that might give me an idea of what's wrong.

Quick Reply: Recall didn't fix ignition problem?