Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

remote starter quit working

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM

remote starter quit working

After 14 trouble free months my remote starter quit working; also the automatic door unlocking feature when you put the vehicle in park and remove the keys quit as well. I checked the DIC set up and these functions are both set up correctly. Anyone else had these issues? The remote starter just makes a whuring sound and doesn't engage anything.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 AM

Check this out: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clicking-shifter-13014/

I think at least one of the posters mentioned checking that all of the fuses in the engine area were fully seated and having that fix the issue.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by denny
After 14 trouble free months my remote starter quit working; also the automatic door unlocking feature when you put the vehicle in park and remove the keys quit as well. I checked the DIC set up and these functions are both set up correctly. Anyone else had these issues? The remote starter just makes a whuring sound and doesn't engage anything.
I just had my in the shop for the same reason, also the cruise did not work.
According to the work order they "reprogrammed transmission control module,
installed new transmission calibrations, and transmission fluid pressure switch"
All is fixed and it works pefectly
Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Founding Member

The remote starter just makes a whuring sound and doesn't engage anything.
Where is the whuring sound coming from? The vehicle or the transmitter???
Old 02-16-2008, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Check this out: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13014

I think at least one of the posters mentioned checking that all of the fuses in the engine area were fully seated and having that fix the issue.
I actually didn't check to see if they were all seated, i did that about a year before. I just checked to make sure all of the fuses were good.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:42 PM

The noise is coming from the vehicle engine compartment.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Founding Member

The noise is coming from the vehicle engine compartment.
Based on that, I would guess a bad starter, but you should also be having problems when you use the key to start the vehicle. Without hearing the noise and seeing what is happening I am afraid I can't be much help on this one.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Thanks for your input, I went to the dealer today and they said several components in the module are bad. They need to keep the vehicle for a day or two while they try to figure out which components are bad. I'll have to wait to a later date when I can leave it for a longer period of time. No free loaner unless they work on it for eight hours or longer per GM...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:05 PM

My dealer has always gotten me a loaner if they have to keep the car overnight, and have told me that GM would pay. If you bought the car from them, I'd state firmly that it's rediculous for them to expect you to not get a loaner if they have to keep it overnight to find the problems. Hell, even if you didn't buy the car from them I'd still try a bit harder to get a loaner.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:42 PM

FYI, This morning for no apparent reason the door locks started locking and unlocking automatically again after two weeks of not working. So I tried the remote starter which is functioning again as well. I did nothing to the vehicle to get these functions working again. Would you just monitor the situation and see if it reoccurs or would you take it into the dealer? Sometimes leaving things alone is the best option...

Quick Reply: remote starter quit working