Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Remote starting in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 PM

I have the same problem on my 2006. If I have the controls set to defrost, it starts and dies. I heard that there is a program update to delay the start of the air conditioning compressor and to give the oil pressure a few more seconds to come up to pressure. The dealer can't seem to find the TSB. If I set the control to floor heat so the AC compressor doesn't run, it starts and keeps running. Of course it doesn't defrost the windows which is why I start it remotely. It runs when I use the block heater but many places don't have receptacles. If I'm home, it's in the garage.

I have the same problem in the summer with the AC on and the car sits in the sun for a couple of hours.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Deceased

It almost sounds to me that the idle is set too low and the compressor is stalling the engine. You might have the codes pulled to see if anything has been set in the idle control circuit. Have you noticed if the engine is idling at a lower than normal rpm, or is it idling roughly when cold?
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM

Frenchy, sounds like the battery to me.
Get it load tested, canadian tire does it for free.
Its pretty cold here in toronto and mine works, but timmins - brrrrrrrr!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 AM
geg

many correct words.
Add a few more. Perhaps they will be useful.
1. The battery must be at the peak of efficiency. Before the beginning of the cold season to test. If the old (can not accumulate the amount of electricity, which said the manufacturer) - to be replaced. If a workable - must be charged in full. This battery will give you the opportunity to run engine again and again for a long time. Not leave the battery is discharged in the cold - to die and not rise again, the new is expensive.
2. Motor oil - before the cold season, replacing the engine oil is not dependent on mileage. SYNTHETICS ONLY! liquid type, such as 5W - 30. Oil to buy only from trusted seller. And do not use a roll of toilet paper instead of the filter.
3. Before the beginning of the cold season to test the thermostat - should work like a Swiss watch.
4. Test the heater interior. Replace cabin filter. Clean the nostril under the hood.

All this is not too late to do the middle of winter.
My HHR is put in any cold (damn it, so as not to jinx it). Now in Yekaterinburg - 27 degrees Celsius during the day. At night the temperature drops to - 32 degrees Celsius (-26 F for southerner).

Yes! Here's another nuance. But the car is more fluid. I'm talking primarily about the transmission fluid. Besides - the oil in the shock absorbers, power steering fluid, grease. All this, too, freezes and thickens. The engine started and warmed up - you can start a movement. But the move - very slowly, gently, without sudden loads. Otherwise, the thickened liquid begins to cripple most unprotected part. Frozen and brittle rubber in shock absorbers, carbon elements in the transmission, petals of torque converter, and even hub bearings. Let the liquid begin to work gradually. As the performance of its functions, they are warmed up and also take the operating temperature. 10 - 12 minutes, you can already fly as crazy. The car just glad.

Listen Russian GEG. GEG broke the 12 coldest winters. Frost tearing steel axles, crumbled glass in the rump
- but the engines starts with a half turn.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 AM

Can't argue with what Geg is saying. Sounds like he takes his car maintainance seriously over yonder in Russia.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
It almost sounds to me that the idle is set too low and the compressor is stalling the engine. You might have the codes pulled to see if anything has been set in the idle control circuit. Have you noticed if the engine is idling at a lower than normal rpm, or is it idling roughly when cold?
The engine starts and runs fine when started with the key. Since this car is normally parked in my garage, which is kept at 40 degrees, I only notice the problem if I'm out of town and staying at a motel or on a really cold and windy day when it's parked outside.

I'm told that it was a problem on 2006 models that was cured by a software upgrade that my dealer apparently hasn't installed. I have to call GM about it. I was told that they delayed the low oil pressure shutdown and the compressor start. If I can't get an answer from GM, I'll add an on delay timer in the compressor circuit. When you start it with the key, there is no low oil pressure shut off because there is a person in the vehicle to shut it down when the indicator comes on. If you have no oil pressure, the fuel pump shuts off.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

If you start it & have the Climate Control set to "Outside Air" it will not turn on the A/C & will still warm up fine.. Just have the Heat dial all the way up & Fan on..

Later you can set it how you desire.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:10 AM
geg

Originally Posted by sleeper
If you start it & have the Climate Control set to "Outside Air" it will not turn on the A/C & will still warm up fine.. Just have the Heat dial all the way up & Fan on..

Later you can set it how you desire.
I take it on board.
how interesting way the world
Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Cold Start Problem Here Too

My 2008 has been towed to the dealer 3X by GM for cold start problems. Now it has 60k and they still haven't fixed the problem, it is only -11 F here this morning and the damn thing has stranded me again. One would think the new GM battery last year would have solved the problem. I think there is more to it, I run synthetic oil and leave the heat on the floor to prevent a broken windshield. I wonder if there is something causing a cold temperature ground in remote start circuit. The battery is dead enough to erase the radio clock and it was starting fine yesterday at 7 F and I drove it two hours. I'm giving it 30 and going out to see if it builds up enough residual to start before I begin digging for the battery.

So heres the update... the battery charger says the battery is fine with 12 volts at the ready. With the charger on 55 amp boost it still doesn't start! Now here is something, looking back at my posts from last year, the first time this happened was almost a year ago to the day and it was warmer!

Last edited by imredbeard; 01-24-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Remote Start Problem - Check Engine Light

I have been using the remote start several times since the temps have dropped to single digits. A few times I noticed the engine will start and then shut off almost immediately. I was able to restart the engine with the remote on the second try. On Saturday it did this and I tried restarting with the remote and it did nothing. Tonight after work I tried the remote start and the engine started and shut off immediately. I tried to restart the engine with the remote but no luck. After I started with the key the check engine light was on. The engine/car seems to run okay. I drove it 60 miles without any issues.

Has anyone had this happen to their HHR? Will I need to take it to a dealer for checkout? TIA

Quick Reply: Remote starting in cold weather