Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Right front tire clicking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 PM

Right front tire clicking sound

I have a 2008 chevy HHR. My wife hit a curb about a month ago, and bent both the tires on the right side. I got a good deal on four rims and tires from somebody on craigslist, so I put those on, and havent had any issues. But today I started driving, and when I let off the gas I started hearing a clicking noise from the right front tire. The noise goes away when I accelerate, and when I step on the brake it also goes away. It only happens when I let off the gas. I rotated the tires, and Im still hearing the same sound. Im kind of low on flow right now, so I hope this is something that I can fix. Does anyone have any suggestions
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Deceased

to the forum!

Unfortunately it sounds to me like the hub on that corner is starting to fail on you, impacts with curbing have been known to hasten their demise.

Give this "How To" thread on replacing the hubs a read by clicking on the link below.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/how-front-hub-replacement-38946/
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM

Welcome!

check that your lugs are all tight! They have loosened up on me before..
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the info on the hubs. I checked and then rechecked to make sure that all the lug nuts were tight. I also read somewhere that I could have a cracked caliper, but when I had my wheel off I didnt see any thing wrong with the caliper. Its just so wierd to me that it doesnt do it when I step on the brake or accelerate. Ill look at some more tomorrow when I have some daylight.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by hefleymusic
Thanks for the info on the hubs. I checked and then rechecked to make sure that all the lug nuts were tight. I also read somewhere that I could have a cracked caliper, but when I had my wheel off I didnt see any thing wrong with the caliper. Its just so wierd to me that it doesnt do it when I step on the brake or accelerate. Ill look at some more tomorrow when I have some daylight.

This is a longshot but still a possible.

Do you have wheel covers?
If so then remove the one on the suspected location and give it a try.
I have had a clicking noise problem before with the wheel cover.

SF
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM

I can think of 2 other places to think about: CV/axle and Brake Wear Indicator (screecher). Everything mentioned is a possible DIY, depending on your confidence/competence in mechanical work, no 1 part should cost more than $90.

Check your PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Welcome to the site if the hub is making the noise you may get the noise to change by making some sweeping turn in a open parking lot. Turn to the left then to the right. If you can make the noise change or go away by turning it's probably and wheel bearing.

This test is not fool proof but it may help with the diagnostic.

I also like the idea of checking the wheel covers. Been there before.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:06 PM

I know what your talking about when it comes to the wheel covers, the old wheels I had on there had the wheel covers and those things made a lot of noise. I might go out and try turning and see if the noise goes away. I think I made a few turns today, and I dont really remember the noise changing. Oh and one more thing that I remembered, it didnt start doing right when I started driving, it seemed to start after I had already driven a couple of miles.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by hefleymusic
I know what your talking about when it comes to the wheel covers, the old wheels I had on there had the wheel covers and those things made a lot of noise. I might go out and try turning and see if the noise goes away. I think I made a few turns today, and I dont really remember the noise changing. Oh and one more thing that I remembered, it didnt start doing right when I started driving, it seemed to start after I had already driven a couple of miles.

I Wouldn't just Turn them I would remove the suspect wheel cover completely to test.

I tried turning the one and it made noise in all positions I tried.

SF
Old 01-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Sorry its been so long since I replied. Its been super cold, and I havent really had a chance to look at the hhr for a few days. I drove it around the neighborhood today. It started making the clicking noise as soon as I started driving it. When I step on the brake it goes away, when I step on the gas it goes away, when I turn to the left or to the right it goes away. I think I'm going to try and replace the wheel hub, because it seems like thats the only thing that it could be. Unless anyone else has a suggestion

Quick Reply: Right front tire clicking sound