Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Right side brake squeal and chirp??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Dear 08bowtie,

I great appreciate your additional information. I can respect your point of view in the aspect of doing the work yourself. I hope that the routine brake replacement will be your resolution.

I hope that you have a great weekend!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 PM

56K seems a little early for wear indicator, but is the first, and easiest, and cheapest thing to check. But find out why, sticky caliper probably, but why? It is usually the inner pad, that's why the indicator lives on the inner pad. That usually means that the caliper is hanging for one of many reasons. If the indicator is making noise you do not have many miles before you total the disc!

Also, be sure to adjust the rear brakes! That is the main cause of premature pad wear, "self-adjusting brakes" are not really self-adjusting, even if you stomp the pedal while backing up enough to cause a lock up at least once a day (which is what it takes).
Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 AM

re

dbrew- i wonder about a sticky caliber too - because i occasionally get the squeal without braking at all (like there is a rub) and even over a light bump sometimes it will chirp (started about 3 days ago ) - i'm trying to get it in this morning on the rack- definitely right front wheel - if i brake hard no squeal its only under light pedal pressure approaching a light or stop sign

i dont how the previous owner was on brakes - but i'm gentle on brakes - hell i've gone 70k + on a lot of my cars - goning to try to get something done today
Old 06-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Deceased

Probably stating the obvious here, but do check the caliper slides for corrosion because they can cause a caliper to bind up. I've found that the wear indicators will squeak the loudest under light braking and unloaded conditions, when you brake firmly they "shut up" until you're almost totally out of friction material.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 08bowtie
dbrew- i wonder about a sticky caliber too - because i occasionally get the squeal without braking at all (like there is a rub) and even over a light bump sometimes it will chirp (started about 3 days ago ) - i'm trying to get it in this morning on the rack- definitely right front wheel - if i brake hard no squeal its only under light pedal pressure approaching a light or stop sign

i dont how the previous owner was on brakes - but i'm gentle on brakes - hell i've gone 70k + on a lot of my cars - goning to try to get something done today
The wear indicators make noise when the brakes are NOT applied i.e. all of the time, noise when applied only indicates gone too far.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM

re

gentlemen start your engines!!! brakes are done!!

after sweating my arse off for the better part of the day the brakes are finished

ebc pads installed - all hardware cleaned - rotors were slowly and carefully milled removing as little as possible and came out perfect - everything reinstalled and road tested without a hitch - no pull,pulsation,or noise

843de is correct calipers were pretty cruddy but cleaned up nicely with a 3m roloc dis - the wear indicators were the cause of the squeal - so all in all it was a good day tater and she stops on dime and gives 9 cents change

while under her i found another issue - doesnt look serious yet but topic for another post - what looks like a little oil seepage around the the turbo plumbing
i'll explain in a new post - thanks guys for all your input you were pretty much spot on with your suggestions and i appreciate it very much
Old 06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Deceased

Glad we could be of help, that's what we're here for ya know.