Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Air Bag disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

Air Bag disassembly

The “SS” emblem in my airbag has a small depression that I believe I can massage out if I can just disassemble it without damaging It. That means accessing the backside to straighten the tabs and remove the disk carefully rather than prying it out from the front.

Through searching the site, I’ve been able to find good descriptions of how to remove the air bag assembly from the steering wheel, but I’ve been unable to find any threads showing disassembly of the air bag itself from the cover once the assembly’s been removed from the car.

I’ve found some information on Silverado forums showing 4 nuts holding the bag to the cover. They can be removed, allowing you to remove the air bag from the cover and expose the BACK SIDE of the emblem.

>>Does anyone know if the HHR (Cobalt, Malibu, G6, G5 and Corvette) covers are similar in design and can be disassembled in the same way?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Deceased

Please consider having the airbag removed by a professional technician, airbags can Kill You if improperly handled, and they can deploy even if the battery has been disconnected for the standard minimum of 30 minutes. Plus deployment can be caused by static electricity.

One of my Late Father's students at UNC was installing a stereo head unit in a Subaru and he accidentally deployed the passenger side bag at point blank range.

He lost the sight in both eyes, the hearing in his left ear, and has undergone 35 corrective and reconstructive procedures since the accident in 2011.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Technical Moderator

To be fair; they don't use explosives anymore. They are much safer than they used to be when they actually had gunpowder in them. But still, a pro is best.

The answer to the question is: Mitchell seems to say the cover is part of the bag, but that may be wrong. I'm having a bad "drill-down" day.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator

I'd live with the dent! I do in my LS
Old 06-17-2015, 08:38 AM

While I agree that it would be much easier (and safer) to "live with it", I have some "OCD" type tendencies that cause the dent staring me in the face to scream "FIX ME" every time I see it...which is all the time.

I may have to let it go as I DO NOT want to spend the $$$'s I've seen "SS" covers/assemblies going for.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Technical Moderator

It is relatively easy to take it off and look at it. Just be sure to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes before you touch the airbag system.

You may see something.

There are good directions and pictures in the "how to add radio controls" to the steering wheel thread. I believe it's a sticky in the how to forum.https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/adding-radio-buttons-steering-wheel-1912/

Last edited by donbrew; 06-17-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:13 PM
Administrator

oh I hear you, that smirking little dent, the PO left behind as a sign he mashed the horn button with his fist and left a mark from his ring! Oh how it haunts me , taunts me, Laughs at me everytime I climb in behind the wheel.
But the expense and possible air bag deploying , I've learned to live with it!!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

I'll post what I find after I've gotten to it.