Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Rust On Inner Door

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM

No support from the dealer, they "fixed" it once, but not again. The fix was a sand and respray, pretty much figured it would be back quick. The seam was very obviously treated very differently on my first HHR, you could see a big visual difference. This one started to rust within a year. I'm really disappointed, it's rusted faster than a '73 Fiat. I guess it's sand and POR15 time now. I guess this will be my last Chevy, I've had 4 others that were much better put together. I contemplate pursuing it at a higher level. It figures, this is the first car I've owned fully myself, bought and paid for. I had planned on keeping it for a long time, now I'm thinking about dumping it before it gets much worse.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM

I am confused (not abnormal) is it rusting on the bottom of the door itself or is it rusting on the body where the door fits?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ron S
I am confused (not abnormal) is it rusting on the bottom of the door itself or is it rusting on the body where the door fits?
They tend to rust on the itself on the inside bottom where the outer door skin is attached.
I agree with above bad design
run your car through a car wash or wash your car and open the doors an hour or so later and water is laying inside the door which appears to be held in by the rubber seals.
My old dealer just said with my original 07 hhr its the salt up here.
My 09 is from southern jersey and is in mint condition top to bottom other than very minimal bubbling.I am thinking this car barely saw any salt but in the northeast it is more humid.Sad though I have older gms that will never rust in this area.
in my other hhr I sprayed a product called fluid film inside the holes I believe it works very well at stopping rust. but it must be reappied at times.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM

Thanks I will check both of ours.
Ron
Old 08-10-2013, 04:42 PM

It is just surface rust on the fold-over seam guys.

I just use one of the anti-rust sprays. About once a month I spray the stuff on the door bottoms and other places and the rust doesn't come back.

Once the original factory paint is taken down to the metal its bad (even if the dealer does it) and it will rust faster then. Try the anti rust spray.

Boydie

Originally Posted by rjjgabi
On all four doors on the inside bottom where the seam or bend is, is starting to rust. What is recommended? Should I wire wheel the rust off and epoxy/caulk/or coat with something to prohibit the rust?

I have not been able to figure out how to post a picture or maybe I am not permitted to post pictures, but I can send you a picture of the issue which may explain things a little better. I can email them to anyone who would like to see.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Good point boydie
I always did this on my 07 and need to get back into the habit
Even though I don't plan on letting my 09 see salt the humidity and design
Equals rust.
I like to use a product called fluid film goes on like wd-40 and turns into a grease
No solvents and I have never seen it attack plastic rubber etc.
What other products are you guys using?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Musicguy
No support from the dealer, they "fixed" it once, but not again. The fix was a sand and respray, pretty much figured it would be back quick. The seam was very obviously treated very differently on my first HHR, you could see a big visual difference. This one started to rust within a year. I'm really disappointed, it's rusted faster than a '73 Fiat. I guess it's sand and POR15 time now. I guess this will be my last Chevy, I've had 4 others that were much better put together. I contemplate pursuing it at a higher level. It figures, this is the first car I've owned fully myself, bought and paid for. I had planned on keeping it for a long time, now I'm thinking about dumping it before it gets much worse.
I would be more than happy to offer my assistance on your concern. If you just private message me what you have been going through and your vehicle identification number I can do some research.

Thank you,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 11-12-2013, 08:20 AM

Hi Jessica, I kind of dropped the ball on pursuing this, but I'd like to. 2 of the 4 doors in particular that they "fixed" are rusting quite badly.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM

You have to wait for "rust through" to get any help from GM.