Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Safelite - broken windshield now missing part

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Safelite - broken windshield now missing part

Hey all,

I had Safelite come out and replace my broken windshield last friday. While I was out claybarring it over the weekend I noticed the rubber strip at the bottom of the window was loose. On the bottom left and right side of the windshield there looks to be holes for bolts that are now missing. I called Safelite 4-hours ago but have yet to hear back from them or the tech.

I am concerned that if it rains I will get water inside my car so I want to swing by the Chevy dealer and see if they stock what I need.
I looked on the GM Parts site and it appears that they are called "cowl bolts" does this sound about right? part #11609828

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Sling
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Deceased

The missing bolts/screws just have a flat washer on them, so you shouldn't have a leak since their purpose in life is to hold down the ends of the cowl cover.

Should they be there, yup. Did Safelite screw up, even bigger yup.

Your dealer should have the screws in stock, they are used on almost every GM vehicle, like for retaining the grille on Camaro's etc.

I would lay into Safelite though, that's substandard work, and very surprising from them.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks I am going to swing by the chevy dealership after work. As unhappy as I am/was, the wife is excited because now I have to take her to her favorite resturant that's right next door. Should I send the tab to Safelite? lol.
Seriously though, I was a bit surprised to find the part missing as well. I heard good things about them, a few members on here recommended them and the tech guy seemed nice and on the ball.
Upon further inspection, I noticed the 'plastic cover' that's up behind the rearview mirror is loose. The cover covers the wiring for the lights in the rearview. I think he put the mirror on upside down or something. I think the plastic piece is supposed to snap into the mirror or something, but it is just dangling there, holding on because one end tucks under the headliner... Guess I will ask the chevy guy about that too... geez...
But on the plus side, LOVE having a fresh sheet of glass, that's not full off pits and road rash...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

I would pay a visit to complain..

Same thing happened to mine years ago when I had the windshield replaced..
I just dug up some stainless screws w/washers I had, & installed them...

Never leaked before I found the missing screws or since.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM

If you are talking on the sides of the cowling those holes are for small plastic push pins. The glass installers ALWAYS let them pop out and do not notice them. If you go back to the glass shop they will get you new ones. They really don't do anything important, just appearance, same with the cowling it does not seal out water at all.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM

I stopped by the chevy dealership on the way home yesterday. And like you said Don, they are just push pins to hold down the rubber weather stripping. Unfortunitely the dealership did not have any in stock and they would need to order them, of course they come in a package of 20... *sigh* .. so I am going to try my luck at Autozone and every other auto parts place in town..
On a side note: I did not hear back from Safelite other than they would speak to the tech...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM

You may find those push pins at Auto Zone or Advance Auto or another parts store in packages of 5 or so. in the "Help" section.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Llook around on he ground around where the work was done, I found one of mine under the hood. I do believe Autozone etc in the Help! section will have them. But call the shop and tell them to replace them.

The techs don't remove them, they just pop out when they remove the windshield and nobody ever sees them. The cowl is supposed to be removed first, but the shortcut is to just pop the glass out, which would not be aproblem if the techs ever looked there.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:08 AM

So, could the leak in our HHR be from the cowl not being properly sealed down and not having these push pins in the sides? We have now had 3 windshield replacements and still have a horrible leak on the drivers side, that extends to the back floorboard. We have noticed each time the windshield has been replaced that the cowl pops up, not only on the ends but in the center.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by eagle021
So, could the leak in our HHR be from the cowl not being properly sealed down and not having these push pins in the sides? We have now had 3 windshield replacements and still have a horrible leak on the drivers side, that extends to the back floorboard. We have noticed each time the windshield has been replaced that the cowl pops up, not only on the ends but in the center.
No the cowling has absolutely no water sealing function. It is purely for looks and large objects.

Your problems is probably the butyl patch. Do a search, there is abundant info on your particular complaint i.e. passenger floor wet. If you have a moon roof that's another story.

Quick Reply: Safelite - broken windshield now missing part