Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

In for service again

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM

In for service again

This time to a different dealer. They hooked up a computer to the diagnostic port and I could not get the HHR SS to exhibit the problem of the squealing/whistling noise on acceleration but they said they pulled an overboost code and will take a look at it. Maybe it didn't happen because of the warmer weather so I asked them to try first thing in the morning when it is cooler because the problem is intermittent. I hope they can permanently fix my car because it has many times where I accelerated that the turbo goes into reduced power mode and I am getting very frustrated about it.

Has anyone else had this with their HHR SS AT with the Stage Kit? The squealing/whistling noise that happens when the car acts up is really bothering me because it sounds like something is broken.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Sounds like an air leak to me................
Old 03-16-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Sounds like an air leak to me................
That's what I keep telling them. I asked this other dealer to inspect the turbos system up and down for leaks because I have had this problem since November 2009 and many people here have hinted at that and I have googled the symptoms till my fingers have bled and have found information that shows that could be the problem. I brought my service records from the other dealer that showed they replaced a Map sensor in November and the other 2 or 3 visits with this problem from two other dealers. I even printed out forum posts from here that people mentioned a leak and other information related to turbo leaks with similar symptoms. All in all the service writer and the mechanic that went for a ride with me were impressed and very polite. Unfortunately they didn't say much to make me feel confident they can fix the problem especially since I could not get the car to recreate the issue. I guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope. If they cannot fix it then I do not know what my next step is. I asked if I could borrow their computer so I can ride with it to get the diagnostic data when it happens again because the mechanic said that would be very helpful in diagnosing the problem.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 AM

Good luck. I wouldn't be so sure it's an air leak though... The air leak should cause an underboost condition. That's the code mine was showing when I had the air leak and low boost.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Good luck. I wouldn't be so sure it's an air leak though... The air leak should cause an underboost condition. That's the code mine was showing when I had the air leak and low boost.
I had that code too originally according to my service sheets and that is when they adjusted the wastegate. Now I feel a loss of power and acceleration overall since that adjustment and it takes harder acceleration to get the problem to happen. So basically it has become less of an everyday problem to once in a while. So it is my belief that they just tried to compensate the underboost by the wastegate adjustment and the real problem still exists and their band-aide is causing the overboost problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:53 PM

Well the other dealer said that the Wastegate was out of line and made another adjustment. They saw an overboost reading when the diag computer was hooked up. I hope this fixes it and so far the power seems to be back in the car and I have not had the problem since the adjustment even though I still remain a bit skeptical. They told me if it happens again they would replace the wastegate solinoid and they inspected up and down for leaks and could not find any. I sure hope this is it. I love my HHR and I just want it to run like it should.