Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service damaged my bumper, half ass fixed it, didn't tell me

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 AM

Angry Service damaged my bumper, half ass fixed it, didn't tell me

The shop had my car for about 3 weeks.
They fixed every issue I brought it there for under extended warranty.
They got GM to pay for the stuff the extended warranty wouldn't cover.
The extended warranty company paid for 1 week of rental.
They got GM to pick up the other 2 weeks.

I was totally happy with the job until I washed the car yesterday.
I saw that the front bumper had been damaged and not perfectly repaired.
The area is less than 2 inches square.
It looks like someone dropped something heavy there and it cracked or scraped it under another car's bumper.

Now I'm pissed.

I think the best way to approach it is

1. bring it to the body shop down the street and get an estimate
2. go to the stealership and ask the SM if he forgot to tell me anything
3. if he fesses up ask him why he didn't tell me and ask what he'll do to fix it because it should be as good as when he dropped it off and it's not.

At what point should I contact GM?
Who should I contact there?

any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM

DO you have any pictures of the car prior to service so you have document proof it was fine prior to drop off?

That could be very helpful if the dealership deny it, also depending on parking someone else could have hit it while it was there as well it might not have done the damage themselves but they should have told you about it.

I would go in and ask them if they forgot to tell you about anything first, because maybe a tech did it and fixed it and didn't tell the manager either in which case it is another whole issue. I hope you get it fixed quickly though.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Deceased

Sort of a duplicate response to the one in your repair post but here goes. Go to a body shop/shops and get estimates, then see the dealership GM(skip right over the SM), and let them know you want the vehicle repaired on their dime. The dealers do carry insurance to cover for damage to vehicles in their care, they'll try to say they are not responsible for vehicles left there for repair, but they are.

You may wish to call the GM zone manager if you don't get any satisfaction from the dealer, the 800 number is in the back of your owners manual. The last resort is to take them to small claims court, most dealers will cave long before it gets to that point.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:55 PM

I got an estimate from a body shop yesterday.
He gave me one includind reparing every stone chip etc... so it's a bit inflated.

I dealt with the service manager today.
There were 2 issues and I agree that one was from the factory and couldn't possibly have been done at their shop.
He would have known and the repair would have included removing and reshooting the bumper.
My mechanic (that used to restore Mercedes to Concours show level) explained that cheap body filler can shrink over time and that's probably what happened there.

I had pointed out the other issue the first time I met him.
He took over for the previous SM after they had my car for a week.
I went out to look at it with him and noticed a dent on the lower lip that hadn't been there before.
He didn't know anything about it so we skimmed over it to deal with the repairs that it was in the shop for.

Today he agreed to submit an estimate regarding that dent on the bottom lip.
He believes me that it wasn't there when I brought it there.

He'll submit the estimate and although he can't prove that it happened there he believes me and will make sure I get paid.

I'm back to being 100% satisfied with the service I got there and any issues that occured there have been dealt with.
I'd bring my car there again as long as he's still the service manager.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM

He probably figures a person with a car like yours knows their car well enough, that you aren't just scamming them... Plus, it's a great way to keep customers.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM

When my wifes Cobalt had to go in for the steering motor recall I took pics of the car exterior & interior. I even included that days newspaper in the pics for proof of dating. The car came out with what I thought was a scratch on the fender that wasn't there before-lo and behold it was already in my pics. Was embarrassed but still fessed up even after the service manager would fix it. I apologized and gave them a great rating on the service.

Pictures always help-no mater what the outcome is...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Happened to me 2 times too.......and I work in the Parts Dept at our Chevy store!