Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Service SEC

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Service SEC

this popped up on my dic..... what does it mean
Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Founding Member

Could it have been ESC?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

my bad it did say esc... and the little traction control light came on and said traction control off.... then not even an 1/8 mile it turned off and the message went away...
it has done this 2 times now...
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
Founding Member

You need to find out what code is being set.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM

Does the engine run at half power ?

Just had similiar messages.. with my 2011 HHR.

~
Old 01-12-2012, 03:21 PM

No loss of power.... A little pull to the left that I can attribute to tire....
Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 PM

ESC Svs

We have a 2010 Silver HHR, which also has the ESC and TCS warnings come on the DIC unexpectedly and loses power, locks brakes, etc. Went to the dealer for the problem in May 2011 and told it was a software issue and had the Comp re-programed and updated. Started again in Feb 2012, and all they can do is tell us to drive it until it acts up again and bring it in. It does not store any codes when it happens and doesn't even allow On-Star to run a diagnosis. Taken it back 3 times (On time it was actually doing it, the dealer had no time to look at it and we had to actually make an appointment. Once switched of and back on, everything seems fine, but this happen unexpectedly, once on the Interstate at 65Mph, took my wife all she could do to control the vehicle from coming around. Called GM and was actually told there was no TSB on this issue and they were surprised when I quoted the actual TSB I got from the 1st time. We love or HHR but my wife is now scared to drive it anywhere because of this issue and the response from the dealer and GM.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 AM

ESC unexpected activation

Just an update on our problem with a 2010 HHR that the ESC would activate / De-activate unexpectedly while driving on good roads in good conditions.

GM Corporate got involved, and bought back the HHR, allowing us to chose another Chevy model. We did and still do love the HHR, it met all our needs in a vehicle and was fully loaded.

We were able to get a 2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback, again fully equipped. Although the Sonic does not have some of the features that the HHR did, like back-up camera, auto-dim rear view mirror, and a more comprehensive DIC info system, we are impressed with the little car.

We do miss our HHR, but with the problems of the ESC and TCS activating at 60MPH on the Interstate for no reason and not storing codes, we just felt unsafe in it.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by daryltwigg
Just an update on our problem with a 2010 HHR that the ESC would activate / De-activate unexpectedly while driving on good roads in good conditions.

GM Corporate got involved, and bought back the HHR, allowing us to chose another Chevy model. We did and still do love the HHR, it met all our needs in a vehicle and was fully loaded.

We were able to get a 2012 Chevy Sonic LTZ 4dr Hatchback, again fully equipped. Although the Sonic does not have some of the features that the HHR did, like back-up camera, auto-dim rear view mirror, and a more comprehensive DIC info system, we are impressed with the little car.

We do miss our HHR, but with the problems of the ESC and TCS activating at 60MPH on the Interstate for no reason and not storing codes, we just felt unsafe in it.
I can relate in missing the HHR, but it seems as though you have a great new vehicle to enjoy. Thank you for the update. Please, don't be a stranger. I hope you are having a great weekend.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 PM

I have a 2009 HHR and the ESC warning light has started coming on. The MSG that appears when this happens is ESC service....and ESC OFF. Nothing else happens, no power loss, no controll problems or any of that other crap that others have mentioned. The ESC light comes on and stayes on telling me the ESC is not working and then when cay is turned off and turned back on the light stays off for a while,maybe for a day or two....I wanted to know what is it about the ESC system that needs servicing or what do I need to do to fix the problem.....other than take it to the dealership, thats a givin.

Quick Reply: Service SEC