Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

It smells in here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 PM

It smells in here!

I have a small problem with my air cond. when I first turn it on it smells for about two minutes, then goes away?
I have changed the cabin air filter, has anyone else have this happening?
The smell I get is like smelly feet.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

I noticed a funky smell from it for the first few times I ran the A/C this year, nothing anymore.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Deceased

You've got mold in your HVAC system and ducting, dealers have kits to clean things out and restore a nice smell. You can also find DIY kits at auto parts stores.

One tip from "The Land of Humidity", turn off the A/C and turn up the blower to full blast for the lasr few minutes of your daily drive, it helps dry out things and prevent mold growth.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:36 AM

That's caused by the drain being partially clogged preventing the condensate draining fast enough. I say partially because if it was completely clogged the smell wouldn't go away.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM

Thank you everyone, this sure is an eye opener thank you all again.
Bob
Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 PM

My 2011 HHR came equipped with a charcoal infused cabin air filter which does help eliminate odors. The aftermarket cheaper filters are plain paper and don't eliminate odors. The more expensive filters do. I would also agree with 843de's method as the idea is to eliminate all moisture/mold/etc. from the AC box before shutdown.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM

Yeah, but people think the black carbon filters are "clogged with filth". Lots of posts about that.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Yeah, but people think the black carbon filters are "clogged with filth". Lots of posts about that.
Agree ......

Also, you can use Lysol or like product AFTER a filter change to ensure the musty odor is "killed".

Start the car, turn the blower on OUTSIDE air, raise the hood and spray in the intakes at the cowling area. Works pretty well unless you have a really serious problem.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

I have the AC smell in my 2010 HHR-SS. I plan to spray Lysol into the cowl air intake plenum (after loosening cowl cover). BUT FIRST...I read that the new "plant-based" WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUIDS (no methanol) can roll into the cowl and make the evaporator core more susceptible to mold growth. Several months ago, I had to dump out the windshield washer fluid from the reservoir after a big glop of goo was poured into it from the gallon jug. I've also seen particulate matter/growth in nearly all the new gallon jugs at auto supply store. I refilled the reservoir using a coffee strainer but fear there is new growth. I plan to dump the reservoir, again, and refill with methanol-containing fluid (buy the concentrate at gas station and dilute it with distilled water first). After that, I'll try the Lysol spray into the cowl and onto the cabin filter. Fingers-crossed.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:36 PM

Looking at this thread since I have something related... Some neighbor's cat must love getting on my car at night since a few months ago I noticed when not having it on "Recirculate" gives me the smell of an unkempt little box! It goes away when it is dryer outside and comes back after a good rain. Removed the cabin filter and didn't change a thing...

Quick Reply: It smells in here!