Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Some Backlighting Out

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 PM

Some Backlighting Out

I have a 2007 HHR LT. I looked through other threads for my particular issue, and saw similar problems, but not exactly the same one. Anyone have a clue as to what this problem is and what I am likely to be in for with getting it fixed?

The backlighting for the stereo buttons, the steering wheel, the mirror adjustment button, and the front door lock buttons is out, along with the LED in the headliner that illuminates the center strip. Additionally, the dimmer switch for the stereo has no effect on dimming or brightening that part of the display, which is still on.

Anyone have a clue what is going on, and what the damage may be to get it corrected? Thanks for any input; it is much appreciated!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Deceased

Two fuses to check first, fuse #7 in the passenger compartment fuse panel, and fuse #62 in the under-hood fuse box.

While you have the under-hood box open, check that all the fuses and relays are firmly seated, they can and do work loose over time.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 PM

Thanks, 834de...I will go do that!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Well, when I backed the car out of the garage to be able to get to the fuses, the lights were on, but they have done that to me a couple of times...been "out" then come back on. This last time they went out, they refused to come back on until now. The engine compartment one (#62) didn't seem loose when I initially pressed on it to check its seating, but several of the other fuses in that box had some give to them, so maybe (I HOPE!) it was just a bit touchy even if it didn't feel loose. Let's see if the lights stay on this time or not! The thumbwheel for dimming/brightening the lights worked again after checking the fuse seating, so let us hope. Thanks again for the tip!