Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

SS Brembo Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 PM

SS Brembo Brake Noise

I have a 2010 SS with 14,900 miles on it. It has the performance package with the Brembo's up front and the LSD. About 200 miles back the brakes started making a high pitch squeal noise ONLY when the car is about to come to a full stop. It is perfectly quiet during all other braking, then as you roll to a stop the last few feet the noise starts up. Took it to the dealer, they put it on the lift and said everything looks fine. Then they showed me Bulletin #08-05-22-004A that was issued May20, 2010. The bulletin applies to 2008-2010 Cobalt SS & HHR SS. Basically it tells the dealer to do nothing except explain the bulletin to the customer saying that this noise is a normal characteristic of the high performance braking system.

Has anyone else experienced this annoying sound and more importantly, was there a fix identified that works?

The only thing I can see/feel is a slight ridge on each outer surface of the disk where the pads wear. The only thing I can see that could be done would be to cut/grind down those ridges that are left at the edge of the pads wear path on the disks. Any other ideas or solutions? Thanks guys.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM

I have had mine for over 35,000 miles with no noise ever. If the dealer won't do it, and if you are not comfortable doing it yourself, then go to a brake shop and have them put some anti-squeal compound between the shim and the back of the pads. Ideally let it cure before you use the brakes.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:40 PM

This is a characteristic of the Brembo's. It is the price you pay for the high speed stopping performance. I hear this on the Camaro SS as well. They certainly squeal less than the brakes on a race car coming back into the pits. I would not worry too much about it as it is a indication you have a high performance braking system. You might want to consider a Hawk pad when they need to be replaced. Hard high speed stops may help to deglaze the rotors. Getting the turbo upgrade will help with this
Old 12-15-2010, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by NUCAR
This is a characteristic of the Brembo's. It is the price you pay for the high speed stopping performance. I hear this on the Camaro SS as well. They certainly squeal less than the brakes on a race car coming back into the pits. I would not worry too much about it as it is a indication you have a high performance braking system. You might want to consider a Hawk pad when they need to be replaced. Hard high speed stops may help to deglaze the rotors. Getting the turbo upgrade will help with this
True, "squeal" is characteristic of many disc brake setups, however it is also true that it is easy to "cure" by simply properly applying anti-squeal compound to the backing plates (and in this case between the plates and the shims). If it does not bother you, fine but not that big a deal to fix it.

Last edited by c2vette; 12-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks guys, I'll give those suggestions a try and see what transpires. I already have the power upgrade which is probably why the brakes started making the noise after having to slow down quickly before I get myself into hotwater with the local radar operators here!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Why is this front page news?