Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 PM

Steering issues

I've got a 2007 HHR lt 5 speed with the 2.2 that I'm having a really bad steering problem.
A little background. I've had this car for about 2 years. No major issues till this. The problem I'm having is as I'm driving down the road the car suddenly, without warning shifts hard to the left and almost throws me into oncoming traffic then , just as suddenly, it throws me back to the right almost off the road into the ditch like I'm stuck in some really bad ruts on the ice.
I've replaced almost everything on the frontend with the exception of the passenger side CV and the struts. I've done hours of research and still can't track it down. It's not a wobble, shimmy, shake or vibration. Its fairly violent and happens so much that I had to stop driving it. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome.

Does it happen while braking? Or just at random with steady throttle? How many miles on it now?

Exactly what have you replaced? Saying you replaced "almost everything" is pretty vague.

Have you had a wheel alignment lately? Any recent accidents, even a curb bump, or big potholes?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:52 AM

Steering issues

Thanks,

It has 134K on it. Does not happen when I break. When it 1st started happening it only did it when I shifted from 2nd to 3rd, then as a got worse it did it between 3rd and 4th as well. It would also do it when I let off the accelerator. I have replaced both sets of front brakes including roaders, Inner and outter tie rods, steering rack and pinion, both lower control arms with ball joints, both hub assemblies, both sway bar bushings and brackets, both sway bar links, drivers side CV, had an alignment and I've even tried different tires and wheels. No accidents, although I did just miss kissing a moose by inches a few months ago. This is Alaska so, missing pot holes just isn't possible. Most of them aren't that big though.

Last edited by C-rad; 03-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 AM
Technical Moderator

Do you have Traction Control/ESC? Any lights on the dash? Any sounds like ABS activating?

Lower Control Arms? Hubs? Ball Joints?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, apparently the other CV axle .
does the steering wheel move when this happens?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Guys, could that be caused by a broken motor or trans mount?

C-rad - that is a lot of money thrown at it so far with no resolve to the problem.- have you taken it to a shop to have the pros take a look at it? What's the history on the car: how long have you owned it, where did you get it from?
Old 03-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Steering issues

Originally Posted by donbrew
Do you have Traction Control/ESC? Any lights on the dash? Any sounds like ABS activating?

Lower Control Arms? Hubs? Ball Joints?
No traction control, ABS/break lights have been on for some time (months). I had q wire that broke on the passenger side rear a while back but I fixed that too. I replaced the breaks and hubs (one was humming like a symphony director), also replaced ball joints, control arms, sway bar bushings and links, intermediate steering shaft and tie rods. Pretty much all steering components.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Steering issues

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site, apparently the other CV axle .
does the steering wheel move when this happens?
Only slightly. The car moves much more than the steering wheel.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Steering issues

Originally Posted by whopper
Guys, could that be caused by a broken motor or trans mount?

C-rad - that is a lot of money thrown at it so far with no resolve to the problem.- have you taken it to a shop to have the pros take a look at it? What's the history on the car: how long have you owned it, where did you get it from?
I got it off Craigslist over 2 years ago. The problem just started a couple months ago.
I haven't taken it to anyone yet. I had other issues that replacing the other parts fixed just not this one.

It seems to get worse as I drive more.

I inspected the mounts just after I felt it start and they look intact.
I haven't been able to find a good honest mechanic that will work on cars with sideways motors. Thay all charge an arm and leg and the last 2 got it wrong with my wife's car.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Quick Reply: Steering issues